Chapter 34

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

I pull up outside of Pike's with Ava in the passenger seat. Kieran was supposed to meet us outside but, as usual, he's not ready on time.

"I'll give him a call," I say to Ava. She nods.

The call rings a few times before going to voicemail. I guess I should've expected that.

"Alright, I'm gonna go get him," I say.

Ava looks great in her costume and I'm second-guessing why I encouraged Kami to invite Kieran to the party.

I give her a quick kiss and jump out of the car.

It must not be too busy as there's no one inside, but it's also a bit early for their usual patrons.

"Kieran!" I call. "We're here to pick you up for Kami's Halloween do. Get your arse out here!"

I wait but I don't get a response.

Damn it, Kieran.

A few shuffling sounds echo from the back kitchen area, so I walk back through the 'Employees Only' door.

As I turn the corner I see Kieran with some woman's legs wrapped around him and his pants around his ankles. The woman is busty with wide hips and shoulder-length brown hair. I see a light white smoke passing from her mouth into his.

"Bloody hell, mate!" I shout, covering my eyes.

"Oh shit!" Kieran says as his date yelps.

I do my best to look at the floor.

"Oh my god!" the woman shouts as they both scramble to re-clothe themselves. Her voice seems somewhat familiar but I can't place it.

"This is... I know this looks bad... Oh my god I'm so embarrassed... Please don't tell Ava about this," the voice says.

I look up at the woman again and recognize a familiar face. It's Shayna—Jen's girlfriend.

Bloody hell.

*****

"Come on Z-Man," Kieran whines as we make our way out into the main bar.

"Jen's girlfriend??" I ask. "Really??"

"Hey, she's a big girl who can make her own decisions."

I'm not ready to weigh the implications of what I just saw between Kieran and Shayna, let alone whether or not I should tell Ava.

"You know what... no... we're not talking about this right now," I say.

"Great. Cool," Kieran says. "Not talking is good."

I hear him shuffling behind me.

"What are you doing?" I ask as I turn around to see him taking off his shirt.

"I'm changing into my costume," he says.

He's wearing bright red suit pants and swings a matching blazer on over his shoulders.

"No shirt?" I ask, immediately wondering why I've bothered. It's Kieran I'm talking to.

"If you've got it, flaunt it," he says with a smirk.

"What are you supposed to be anyway?" I ask.

"One sec," he says. Two horns emerge atop his head.

His real horns are black and curve around his head, but these are red and pointed. I guess he's taking the literal approach tonight.