Chapter 67

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

Well, today was a bloody waste of time.

Of course my informant was a no-show. Either he got spooked over the idea of Asmodeus finding out he was talking to me, or worse—Asmodeus already found out and made an example of him.

It's more likely that the bloke panicked and skipped town. It isn't Asmodeus's style to just make someone disappear. He loves to make a big show of his kills.

I swear, going after Asmodeus is just one dead end after the other.

Signs and lampposts flicker by as I drive back home. My Challenger is the only car on the road and the windows are fogging in the frigid night air.

In my rear-view mirror, I see a cloud of vapor rising from the back of my car.

Bollocks, is it really that cold?

The engine starts to make a strange whirring sound and I can feel it running roughly. It churrs and sputters as I pull over to the side of the road. A sign ahead says it's 40 more miles back to Port Charlotte.

Fuck me. Today is really not my day.

I fall back into my seat and let out a heavy sigh. The heater starts to wheeze before slowing to a stop.

Perfect.

I ponder a moment before giving Ava a ring.

"Hey!" she answers.

"Hey, love," I say with a sigh.

"What's wrong?" she asks, immediately sensing the defeat in my voice.

"Oh, it's fine. My lead didn't pan out and I'm having car troubles a ways outside the city. I think I'm going to have to call for a tow, so I'll be later than expected. Are you fine to stay at Pike's for a while? Are you safe?"

"Sure," she says. "There are lots of people here and it's totally safe. Just take care of yourself, it's freezing out."

"I'm fine, baby. You think a little cold would affect me?"

"Okay, Mister Macho. I love you!"

"I love you too," I say. "Talk soon."

I end the call and look at the many engine warning lights currently flashing on my dashboard and shiver.

Fuck. It's bloody freezing.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

A few drinks in and the pain in my muscles has eased substantially. Sure, I'm going to regret this tomorrow, but when you're friends with the bartender, why not enjoy the perks?

"You guys are getting along a lot better," I say to Kami, my speech only slightly affected by the alcohol.

"Who?" Kami asks.

"You and Kieran," I say, pointing to him as he pours drinks for two women down the bar.

"Yeah, well..." she says, taking a heavy swig of her drink. "I guess I feel a little bad for judging him all these years. I was so ready to jump on him the moment something seemed up, but he came through for Zane. He always does. Zane deserves that."

"Yeah." I nod and watch as Kieran flirts with the girls he's serving.

The door jingles as it swings open, letting in a burst of cold air. We both turn to see a heavily bundled Zane making his way over to us.