Chapter 1

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

An immortal walks into a hospital.

I don't have the punchline to this one yet, but it feels like it's got to be a joke.

The wind shakes the barren trees that line the walkway toward the building's automatic sliding glass doors.

I pull out my phone to re-read Kami's texts.

Kami: In hospital—Need you to meet me

Kami: Not dead btw

Of course she didn't include her room number.

I hate hospitals. They're just monuments to the fragility of humans; a constant reminder that illness and death are around every corner. How do they even live like that—knowing that at any minute it could all just end?

My eyes scan over the building directory until I find the words 'Information Desk' and head in that direction.

The lobby has that typical bland hospital look: white, barren walls and taupe carpet. I've never understood why everything in hospitals is white and beige—the two colors that are impossible to get blood stains out of.

A few people are queued up at the desk, with many more seated in what appear to be the world's least-comfortable chairs.

Me: How do I get to your room?

I guess I'm going to have to wait like everyone else.

I stand behind an older man hooked up to a machine that he rolls along with him. They really shouldn't make sick people stand here waiting like this.

I glance back at my phone; still no response.

As I look up, the girl approaching the counter catches my eye. She seems out of place in this room of ailing, elderly people. She looks about 25 and, at least on the surface, in perfect health. Her hair is dyed a vivid shade of purple and she's dressed in a leather jacket, skinny jeans, and combat boots. She's an anomaly.

Who are you?

"I get that," she says to the grumpy-looking woman behind the desk, "but I've literally been here four times this month. Do you really need the same forms again? I mean, I'm already in your system, right?"

The receptionist glares at the girl through the rim of her glasses. She mutters something about hospital policy and the girl lets out a frustrated sigh before grabbing a pen and sitting down with the forms.

Before too long, it's my turn and I approach the desk.

"Hello, love," I say, giving the woman my best charming smile. Thanks to the glass barrier between us, I can't just use my powers this time and will have to rely on my other gifts.

"Primary complaint?" she asks in a monotone voice.

Okay, I guess I'm a little rusty.

"Uh... I'm looking for Kami Selim. She called me asking me to meet her here but I don't know her room number," I say.

Her eyebrows lower and she gives me a look that is equal parts judgmental and unimpressed.

Apparently I'm a lot rusty.

"I can't give you patient details, sir," she says.

"I understand," I say. "Could you at least tell her I'm here?"

"Sorry, I can't confirm whether or not this patient is even in the hospital."

Bloody humans. I should have known better. People only help you if there's something in it for them.