➳ THREE

III. HERBOLOGY

"You want to try first?" Ruth asked Casper as they sat in the Herbology greenhouse

"You want to try first?" Ruth asked Casper as they sat in the Herbology greenhouse. It was their second week back at Hogwarts, and the workload was definitely not easy.

Casper eyed the snargaluff, looking somehow harmless yet extremely dangerous. It had the outside appearance of a gnarled stump but from their previous theory class, Casper and Ruth knew of the thorn-covered vines that hid within the plant.

"I think you should," Casper said.

Ruth frowned, having expected her friend to take the risk. "You know I failed my Herbology OWL," she said. "You try get the pod and I'll hold it down if it tries to attack."

"When it tries to attack," Casper said, pulling on his gloves bitterly.

Ruth watch, unbreathing, as Casper's hand inched towards the opening of the stump. His hand barely made it inside when one of the vines shot out, swiping at the air.

Ruth tried to hold down the plant, using all the strength she had to push the vine onto the table. But it was too powerful and slippery for Ruth to tame. They tried to retrieve the pod from the center of the snargaluff many times but weren't successful. It was usually Ruth's fault, as the thorn-covered vine always seemed to escape her grip just before Casper got the green pod.

Professor Sprout announced the end of class, resulting in Casper and Ruth, who were both covered the scratches, to give up the task they were given.

"Miss Ash," Professor Sprout called out. "Stay behind for a moment."

Casper and Ruth shared a look. "Don't wait for me," Ruth told him. "I'll meet you in the Great Hall."

Casper gave a quick nod and left the greenhouse with all the other students. Ruth approached Sprout, half afraid of what the short Professor was going to say.

"Are you settling back into Hogwarts?" Professor Sprout said, making casual conversation.

Ruth nodded. "The first few days were tiring. But after almost a month, I'm doing fine."

Professor Sprout nodded. She pulled on a pair of gloves and began collecting the pulsating pods some students had managed to retrieve.

"And how are you finding Herbology?" was the next question.

Ruth didn't reply. Herbology was her worst subject. She only took it because it's one of the subject needed for aurors.

Professor Sprout smiled at Ruth. She liked the brunette; that was one of the reasons she allowed her to take this class at NEWT level.

"You're finding it difficult," Sprout said, more as a statement then a question. "I can tell by your last grade. And all the ones before that."

Ruth looked down at her feet, ashamed. "I want to be an auror, Miss, and Herbology is needed. Please don't kick me out of the class, I'll work much harder I promise-"

"Nobody said anything about kicking anyone out, Dear," Sprout said. Ruth looked up to see she had a warm smile on her face. "I was thinking more along the lines of a tutor."

"A tutor?"

Sprout nodded. "I already have someone, who's in your class," she went on. "I've checked both your schedules. You both have a free period on Wednesdays, which you will spend in the library, studying together."

Ruth raised an eyebrow. Who would her tutor be?

"It looks like lunch started 10 minutes ago," Sprout said before Ruth could ask her question. "Run along now or you'll miss it."

Ruth thanked the professor before leaving the greenhouse. The Great Hall was full of people when she arrived, including a lonely looking Casper, who was glancing at the door every few seconds.

"What did Sprout want?" Casper asked as soon as Ruth sat down.

"She gave me a tutor," Ruth said.

"A tutor?" Casper repeated.

Ruth nodded. She eyed Casper suspiciously. "Are you messing with me?" She asked. "Because I presumed it was you she was talking about."

Casper shook his head. "I'm not your tutor, Rue."

Ruth bit the inside of her cheek. She looked down the table, her eyes resting on each person that was in her Herbology class.

"Then who would it be?" Ruth asked. "You're one of the smartest people in our class."

"I'm not," Casper defended. "There's lots of smart people, including you."

"I've just gotten a tutor because I'm failing the subject."

"I know but-" Casper said. He couldn't find anymore words it seemed as he fell silent. Ruth filled the silence with a satisfied laugh.

"I have no idea who it would be," Casper said eventually. "But hopefully they'll be able to help you understand the subject."

Ruth nodded, still looking down the table. "Yeah. Hopefully."