➳ ELEVEN

XI. A WHITE CHRISTMAS

Ruth was the first to wake on Christmas Day

Ruth was the first to wake on Christmas Day. Snow gently fell onto the window pane, making Ruth smile brightly. Her sisters and their roommate were still asleep, so Ruth had the bathroom all to herself, which was rare when sharing a room with three other girls.

Ruth jumped into the shower, taking her time shaving and applying coconut body wash, as the Yule Ball would be taking place that evening and she wanted to look as nice as she possibly could.

She dressed and dried her hair in the condensation covered bathroom before returning to the dorm, a waft of coconut following her.

"Merry Christmas Ruth," Poppy yawned, having just woken up. Katrina had her head stuck under her pillow; she was always the one who wanted the most sleep.

"Merry Christmas Poppy," Ruth smiled back. "You too Katrina."

Katrina only groaned in return, which made Poppy and Ruth giggle. It felt nice to laugh with her sister.

"Here you go Ruth," Poppy said, shoving a box into Ruth's arms.

Ruth eyed the purple box. "This is unexpected."

"It's from both of us," Poppy smiled. "We saw you admiring them when we went to Hogsmede. So we went back and got them."

Ruth was too amazed by her present to wonder how her sisters got back to Hogsmede. While Poppy was speaking, Ruth had opened the box and pulled out the pair of black heels she'd seen in the boutique.

"I-" Ruth began. The heels were made of a shiny black material; simple but classy. Ruth didn't think she would suit heels and was planning on just wearing flats. "I- Thank you so much."

Katrina had finally sit up, getting the point that she wouldn't be getting anymore sleep. "We knew you'd never buy them yourself, so we decided to do you a favor."

Knowing her sister was joking, Ruth smiled. "Oh! I have something for you two!" She said, opening her trunk and digging around until she found a brown paper bag. "It's nothing compared to your present, but-"

Ruth's voice faded as she handed each sister her present. For Poppy, she'd bought a silver bracelet, with a broomstick charm. She got Katrina some deep pink lipstick, which Ruth noticed her sister wore a lot.

"I was actually running out," Katrina commented. "Thanks."

Ruth nodded happily. The sisters were soon dressed and made their way down to the common room.