➳ TEN

X. MIXED FEEINGS

Ruth sat with Fred in the library on the last Wednesday before Christmas, Herbology books left unopened on the table

Ruth sat with Fred in the library on the last Wednesday before Christmas, Herbology books left unopened on the table. The conversation topic of this week was the Yule Ball.

"Mum sent me my brother's old suit," Fred said. "And it smells like dust mites."

Ruth raised her eyebrows. "I didn't think dust mites could smell."

Fred shrugged. "Well I don't know if they do or not but the suit smells like what I think dust mites smell like."

Ruth chuckled, shaking her head. "You shouldn't assume it's the dust mites that smell."

"Well it certainly has those little guys crawling around on it," Fred explained. "So it's the only explanation."

"You also shouldn't assume that dust mites are boys."

Fred groaned and hid his face in his hands. "You are so annoying."

Ruth laughed at Fred's obvious sarcasm. She pulled her Herbology book towards her. "What if we actually do some work this week?"

Fred stared at her. "But it's Christmas."

"We've never done any work," Ruth reminded him.

"It's still Christmas," Fred repeated. When Ruth sent him a look, he sighed and opened her Herbology textbook.

"How do you safely extract a Snarglauff pod?" Fred asked, having flipped to a random page.

"I don't know," Ruth replied. "That's why you're here. To help me."

"Well I don't know either," Fred shrugged.

This annoyed Ruth but couldn't stop herself from chuckling. "And you think I'm annoying?"

"Nobody's perfect," Fred replied smugly.

Ruth groaned in annoyance. "This is hopeless. I'm going to fail my N.E.W.Ts."

"It's hopeless but fun," Fred told her.

Ruth didn't reply, agreeing with him fully.

Fred took Ruth's quill, having not brought any supplies with him, and began to doodle on her book.

"Stop," Ruth said, swiping at his hand. "That's my book."

Fred held the quill out of her reach. "I assure you, what I'm drawing is essential."

Ruth rolled her eyes but let him continue his 'masterpiece'.

Ruth watched as Fred bit his bottom lip as he concentrated and let out a few chuckles when his drawing was complete. He held up the textbook, showing off his work of art.

"That's rude," Ruth commented, her eyes studying the markings Fred had added to Tilden Toots, a famous Herbologist's, face.

"He deserves it," Fred defended. "For having a name like Toots."

"You're impossible," Ruth said. "Is this what you spend your time doing? Graffitiing on other people's property?"

"Stop making me out to be a monster," Fred gasped. "You're smiling. You think I'm funny."

Ruth wiped the smile off her face. "Nope, you're face just makes me laugh."

"Ouch, she bites," Fred chuckled. "But don't lie to yourself. You find me undeniably attractive."

Ruth only hummed and shrugged in response.

Fred's eyes widened as he raised his hands dramatically. "Woah. I've a girlfriend, you know."

Ruth didn't know that, but hid her surprise well. "Slow down, lover boy. I haven't declared my love for you."

Fred smirked. "Yet."

"Do you pride yourself on being a cocky git?" Ruth asked sweetly.

"Did I hit a nerve, Love?" Fred grinned.

Ruth hummed and stood from her chair. "I'm afraid lunch interests me more than continuing this conversation," she sighed. "I'll see you next week."

She pulled her book away from Fred and stuffed it in her bag, leaving the library straight after.

Lunch was in full swing when Ruth arrived in the Great Hall. She made her way towards her usual seat, where she could see Casper.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard Poppy calling her, beckoning her over to them.

"Mum sent us a package," Katrina informed her sister. "A necklace for the ball."

Poppy had already torn open the package. "This one's yours Ruth," she said, handing Ruth a golden chain.

Ruth took it gently. At the end of the chain hung a delicate heart, with an 'R' engraved in the back.

"They're so cute," Katrina commented, inspecting her own necklace, which was identical to Ruth's, but with a 'K' engraved.

"They are," Ruth agreed. "Are you going to wear yours to the ball?"

"Definitely," Poppy said. "You should wear yours too."

Ruth agreed shyly just as Fred came up behind her.

"Fred!" George Weasley, who was seated next to Poppy, greeted. "Where the bloody hell were you?"

"Angelina," Fred replied, confusing Ruth. "I have my priorities, Brother."

"We get it, you're in a relationship," Katrina droned on. "No need to rub it in our faces."

Fred chuckled and sat down, completely ignoring Ruth, who he had been very friendly with less than 10 minutes ago. She bid her sisters goodbye before joining Casper for lunch.

"Hiya Rue," Casper greeted as she sat down. "How was your tutor lesson?"

Ruth looked down the table at Fred, who was laughing at something his brother had said.

"Fine," she replied, looking away from the Weasley. "Just fine."