➳ SIXTEEN

XVI. HERBOLOGY PROBLEMS

Two weeks later, the effect of the second task was still bubbling around the castle

Two weeks later, the effect of the second task was still bubbling around the castle. Even though Harry had returned to the shore last, since he'd saved both Ron Weasley and Gabrielle Delacour from the depths of the Black lake, he was given extra points and drew first with Cedric Diggory. Both the Gryffindor House and the Hufflepuff House were ecstatic.

Ruth sat in the common room on the second Friday of March. She was almost finished her homework, but she had kept the hardest till last.

Herbology.

It was really becoming a pain at this point. Herbology just wouldn't make sense to Ruth and she hated feeling so lost all the time. She was only staring at her textbook at this point, begging the words to make sense to her.

Casper had gone to the library and must have gotten preoccupied, as he'd been gone for almost an hour by now. Ruth had hoped he'd help her with her homework. They hadn't even been have regular tutor sessions, as Casper always had some work of his own to do.

Feeling extremely frustrated with herself, Ruth let out a groan and hid her face in her hands. What use is Herbology to an auror anyway? Why is it one of the required subjects for Ruth's dream job?

"Are you ok?" A voice asked her. Ruth lifted her head to see Hermione Granger, a fourth year, sitting next to her with a helpful smile.

"I just can't seem to get this," Ruth admitted, gesturing to her Herbology book. Ruth noticed a boy sitting on the couch beside Hermione and one on the armchair. One of them was Harry Potter.

"I can try and help," Hermione suggested.

Ruth smiled gratefully. "Ok, but you mightn't understand it, since it's NEWT level stuff."

"Don't worry," the other boy, a red-headed, said as Hermione began to read out of Ruth's textbook. "She'll understand it."

Ruth smiled. "I presume you're a Weasley?" She asked the red-headed boy.

He nodded. "Yep. I'm Ron. You're friends with Fred and George? They're in your year."

Ruth tried not to let her face fall at the mention of Fred's name. "Not really," she settled on. "We've some classes together, but we don't talk much."

"You're Katrina and Poppy's triplet, aren't you?" Harry pipped up from the armchair.

Usually, Ruth wouldn't like to be referred to as Katrina and Poppy's sister and nothing else. But with the relationship with her sisters improving, Ruth nodded happily. "Yeah I am."

"I understand it," Hermione said suddenly. "Here let me help."

Hermione began explaining the chapter very slowly, using short words, as opposed to Casper's long ones that she didn't understand. When the young girl finished speaking, Ruth only understood it a tiny bit more, but she thanked Hermione graciously anyway.