➳ FIVE

V. THE CHAMPIONS

The excitement from the arrival of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons lasted until the following evening

The excitement from the arrival of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons lasted until the following evening. Ruth and Casper spent their Saturday walking in and out of the Great Hall, watching people slip their names into the Goblet of Fire. Ruth noticed a lot of Durmstrang boys entering, and being heavily encouraged by their headmaster Igor Karkaroff.

"Did you see what the Weasley Twins did?" Casper asked as he settled for dinner with Ruth.

Ruth thought for a second before shaking her head. "Maybe I was in the bathroom."

"Oh yeah I think you were," Casper said. "Anyway, they both took an ageing potion and tried putting their names in the goblet. But they grew beards."

"Beards?" Ruth asked.

Casper nodded. "Like Dumbledore's. They were sent to the hospital wing. I guess they're still there."

Ruth looked down the table and noticed that Casper was right, the loud Weasley Twins were nowhere to be seen.

People were entering the tournament last minute. Ruth watched as Beauxbatons students grabbed all the boys attention while stretching up to the goblet.

"It's time," Casper hissed in her ear, his eyes focused on Dumbledore, who was standing from his seat.

"You have until the end of the feast to enter. Bon Appetite!"

Tables filled with food once again. Casper loaded up his plate and began to eat.

"You eating fast won't make dinner go quicker," Ruth giggled as Casper stuffed his face. "Why are you so excited?"

Casper swallowed his mouthful of food before speaking. "The suspense of this is killing me."

Ruth shook her head in amusement before eating her own meal.

Once dinner had finished, Dumbledore stood once again. "Thank you for your patience, and your enthusiasm," he said, smiling at all the excited faces. "I believe it is time for the champions to be selected."

The headmaster came around to the front of the teachers table. "If your name is chosen, please go through the door to the right of the staff table," he said as he moved towards the centre of the room.

Once Dumbledore reached the goblet, the previous blue flames burned red. A small piece of parchment rose from the flames and slowly drifted into Dumbledore's hand.