➳ NINETEEN

XIX. THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS

On September 1st, the Ash triplets jumped back onto the Hogwarts Express, ready for their seventh and final year at Hogwarts

On September 1st, the Ash triplets jumped back onto the Hogwarts Express, ready for their seventh and final year at Hogwarts. Ruth left them in the corridor, to find her own friend while they searched for theirs.

"Hiya Casp," Ruth grinned once she found Casper in his own compartment.

"Hey Ruth," Casper replied.

Ruth settled herself down opposite him, beginning a conversation.

"Oh! Did you here about the trial?" Casper exclaimed after an hour had passed.

"What trial?" Ruth questioned. The trolley had just left the carriage, so Ruth was chewing on some red liquorice.

"Harry Potter's trial!" Casper said.

Ruth gave him a confused look. "I have no idea what you're talking about?"

Casper rolled his eyes playfully, as if Ruth was the only person on the planet not to have heard about Harry Potter's trial. "Harry performed magic in the presence of a muggle."

"A muggle?" Ruth repeated. "Isn't that illegal?"

Casper nodded quickly. "It is. That's why there was a trial."

"How do you know so much about this anyway?" Ruth asked.

"My dad was in the jury," Casper replied. "Harry almost didn't get off, until Dumbledore came in. Dolores Umbridge, apparently she's an absolute pain, and Fudge didn't want Dumbeldore to be there, so they moved up the time without telling anyone."

"That's unfair," Ruth commented. "So I guess Harry was late then?"

"Yep," Casper conformed. "My dad said he was all shaky."

"I don't doubt it. I would be too," Ruth said. "A room of adult wizards against one boy, he must have been terrified."

Casper hummed. "He got off anyway. It was self defence."

Ruth raised an eyebrow. "Self defence?"

"A dementor attacked him and his muggle cousin," Casper said.

Ruth's mouth dropped open. "A dementor? Doesn't Harry live in a muggle neighbourhood?"

"I had the same reaction!" Casper exclaimed. "It's weird enough to see a dementor away from Azkaban, let alone in a muggle area."

"Maybe Sirius Black was spotted around there?" Ruth said in an unsure voice. "Isn't that why dementors were sent to Hogwarts? To look for him?"

"Maybe," Casper said. "It could have been Black that Harry saw after the third task. Maybe Sirius Black is back."

"Hopefully they catch him soon then," Ruth said. "I can't believe the government just stopped looking for him after he escaped Hogwarts."

"You should be a politician, Rue," Casper said. "You'd be really good at it; making a difference."

Ruth pointed her finger at him. "I'll do that once I become an auror."

The Hogwarts Express continued to rumble along the tracks, the sun setting at a rapid pace. Ruth and Casper soon parted for the bathrooms to get into their robes. They returned to their carriage, and only had a short time to talk before they arrived at the castle.

Hogwarts was as breathtaking as ever, Windows lit up and giving the castle a homely look, because it was home to most of the students.

"This is the last time we'll arrive at Hogwarts," Ruth realised aloud.

Casper smiled. "Yeah it is. But let's not think about that right now, ok?"

Ruth nodded. She adored Hogwarts and couldn't imagine her life without the old castle, but she listened to Casper's words and pushed the thoughts of leaving forever to the back of her mind.

They made their way into the Great Hall and sat down at their respected table. The school slowly filtered in and Ruth wished they'd hurry up. She was feeling rather hungry.

"Welcome to another year of Hogwarts," Dumbeldore announced. "Before the feast, I have a few announcements to make. As you can see, we have a new member of staff with us this year. Please welcome the newest Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Ms Dolores Umbridge!"

A light applause ran through the hall as Casper leaned towards Ruth. "That's the woman my dad told me about! From Harry's trial!"

Ruth looked down the Gryffindor table to see Harry whispering hurriedly to his friends, Hermione and Ron.

"Moving swiftly on," Dumbledore continued as the applause stopped. "I must also inform you that-"

"Hem-Hem."

The tiny cough cut off Dumbledore's speech, but he continued. "The Quidditch Inter-house championship will be-"

"Hem-Hem."

Dumbledore, along with the rest of the school, turned to look at Umbridge, who wore a sickly-sweet smile. "Thank you, Professor Dumbeldore. For that kind introduction."

"She did not just cut off Dumbeldore," Casper gasped.

"Yes she did," Ruth replied with a shaking head.

"It feels great to be back at Hogwarts," Umbridge smiled. "And to see all these happy faces looking up at me!"

Ruth took a quick glance around but couldn't see a single person smiling.

"I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" Umbridge exclaimed, before her sweet tone disappeared. "The Ministry has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance and each Headteacher of Hogwarts has brought something new to this school."

Ruth's attention span was shrinking, as was many other student's. A quiet mumble of words was growing as students engaged in more interesting conversations with each other.

"Some changes will be for the better while others will be recognised as errors," Umbridge said, her voice getting louder in order to be heard. "That is why I have left my job at the Ministry to come here. To help the school move forward in a... more efficient direction."

The short lady sat down and after a beat of silence, Dumbledore began to clap. Very little students and staff joined in, and the applause ended very quickly.

Dumbeldore stood up and continued his speech, but Ruth wasn't able to listen. "She's going to ruin this year, isn't she?"

Casper shook his head. "Only if you let her, Rue."

"I won't let her," Ruth said, determined. "No way."