➳ FOUR

IV. NEW ARRIVALS

On Halloween Night, the usual excitement ran through the castle

On Halloween Night, the usual excitement ran through the castle. The spooky atmosphere and floating jack-o-lanterns around the castle could lift anyone's mood. The excitement had doubled this year, for Durmstrang and Beauxbatons would be arriving soon.

"I wonder how they'll arrive," Casper asked as the entire school stood on the steps of the castle.

"They might just take the train like we do," Ruth shrugged.

"Beauxbatons is full of french Veelas," Casper said. "I doubt they'd do something as ordinary as take the train."

"And what about Durmstrang? Mr I was almost sent there?"

Casper chuckled, going up in his toes to see over the crowd. "They're a proud school. They'll do something to show that."

After a few seconds, Ruth wrapped her arms around herself and let out a sigh. "Why are they taking so long? It's freezing out here?"

Casper smiled and took his scarf off, wrapping it around Ruth's neck. "They'll be here soon. Have you started your tutor classes yet?"

Ruth shook her head. "Next Wednesday."

"And you still don't know who your tutor is?"

"Nope," Ruth said. "I guess it will be a surprise."

Casper opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a voice shouting "What's that flying towards us?!"

Ruth looked up to the dark sky, her eyes instantly catching the flying object. As it got closer, Ruth noticed it was a carriage of some sort being pulled by flying horses.

"Beauxbatons," Casper whispered in her ear as the carriage landed and girls dressed in blue silk emerged from it. "Veelas. This'll be interesting."

It was. As soon as the young ladies could be seen, most of the male population of the school gained a dazed looks on their faces, seemingly unable to comprehend the beauty of the Beauxbatons students.

"It's rude to stare," Ruth nudged Casper's shoulder as he studied the girls.

Casper cleated his throat and sent Ruth a toothy grin.

"The lake!" a voice sounded and hundreds of heads turned to the deep water, that looked a lot less settled than it did a few minutes ago.

Ruth was amazed as a large wooden ship slowly rose from the water, disturbing the Giant Squid greatly. Once the ship reached the shore, over a hundred young men climbed off.

"Durmstrang," Casper said. "Always have to make a statement."

Ruth didn't answer. She watched as the school approached Hogwarts castle, each student wore a uniform consisted of fur. Ruth assumed they must have come from somewhere cold.

"Welcome," came Dumbledore's voice, loud and clear. "To the lovely ladies of Beauxbatons and the proud sons of Durmstrang!"

A flurry of applause broke out, whistles sounding from the boys of Hogwarts. Dumbledore wore a warm smile as he personally greeted the headteacher of each school.

"There is a feast waiting for you all inside," Dumbledore announced. "Please make yourselves at home!"

Hundreds of pairs of feet made their way into the castle. Ruth and Casper took their usual seats at the Gryffindor table. Beauxbatons took a seat at the Ravenclaw table, and Durmstrang day with Slytherin, must to the disappointment of the other two houses.

"Ruth!" Casper exclaimed suddenly. "That's Viktor Krum!"

"Who?" Ruth asked.

Casper rolled his eyes. "He's the best seeker of his generation. He played for Bulgaria at the Quidditch World Cup!"

They only reason Ruth found Viktor Krum was due to the large crowd of Slytherins surrounding him. Krum didn't look very special; he looked like a normal student.

"Before we being our speech," Dumbledore's brought an instant silence to the room. "I would like to introduce you all to... The Goblet Of Fire!"

With these words, a large golden goblet was summoned into the room. It stood on a podium in the centre of the room.

"This goblet will decide who shall take part in this year's Triwizard Tournament," Dumbledore explained. "One champion will be chosen from each school. Write your name upon a slip of parchment and pop it in the goblet to be submitted." He took a quick look around the room. "Remember, you must be over 17 years of age. You have until tomorrow evening. Enjoy!"

Dumbledore snapped his fingers and food filled the tables instantly. Ruth immediately started to eat.

"I wonder who's going to enter," Ruth wondered allowed, swallowing her mashed potato.

"Krum looks pretty interested," Casper said.

Ruth punched his shoulder. "Shut up before I start to think you have a crush."

Casper chuckled and shook his head. "No way."

NOTES~>
This and the next chapter will be pretty boring, just need to get the Champion Selection out of the way. You may skip them if you wish, you won't miss much!