➳ THIRTY SIX

XXXVI. THINGS ARE CHANGING

Within the next 24 hours, a lot had changed within the Hogwarts walls

Within the next 24 hours, a lot had changed within the Hogwarts walls. A few of the Gryffindor's were seated in their common room, discussing the evening before.

"There's no way he just disappeared," Fred exclaimed. He was slouched on the couch with his arm resting on the back of the seat, behind Ruth's head.

"I'm telling you," Harry said to the group. "He grabbed onto Fawkes and just disappeared."

"I didn't think a Phoenix could teleport," Katrina commented.

"It really is an extraordinary piece of magic," Hermione added.

"But where does this leave Hogwarts?" Poppy asked. "The DA was caught. We broke a huge rule."

"And now Dumbeldore's gone," George sighed. "And there's no quidditch, I don't know how I'll survive the rest of the year." He shared a look with his brother.

Ruth sighed and leaned an inch closer to Fred, not trying to make it obvious. She jumped slightly as the portrait hole swung open unexpectedly.

"Umbridge caught me leaving the great hall," Casper announced. "And told me to hang this in out common room." He waved a piece of parchment in the air.

Ruth took it and began to read, Fred looking in. The couple shared a look before Ruth turned back to her peers.

"Umbridge is Hogwart's new headmistress," she said, causing an uproar.

"This isn't fair," George groaned and covered his face with his hands.

The group complained together for a few more minutes before disbanding. Ruth didn't see Fred leave, but he was gone almost the second the conversation ended.

"Let's go for a walk," Casper suggested. "Around the castle grounds." Ruth nodded and they left the common room.

The summer weather was beginning to settle in so the air was bright and breezy as they left the castle.

"You ready for the NEWTs?" Casper asked as they headed for the Black Lake.

"Almost," Ruth sighed. "I just need to work a little harder for Transfiguration and Herbology, obviously."

"Fred still tutors you?" Casper questioned.

Ruth smiled. "Yep. He actually really helps."