➳ EIGHTEEN

XVIII. THE LEAKY CAULDRON

Although Ruth adored Hogwarts, there was nothing like coming home to her parents

Although Ruth adored Hogwarts, there was nothing like coming home to her parents. Ruth's parents, Shane and Alison, were two of her favourite people in the entire world. Ageing like any other but still young at heart, they were the two people that made Ruth feel at home like no other.

"Alright let's make this quick," Alison Ash, better know as Allie, sighed as the group of five entered Florish and Blotts. "This shop makes my head spin."

Shane smiles at his wife before turning his attention to his daughters. "Now, what books do you need?"

The girls took out their book lists and walked around the shop with their dad (while their mum stayed by the door), picking up all the different supplies they needed for the upcoming school year.

Ruth was browsing the Herbology section when her mother came up behind her. "I thought your Herbology book was used for both 6th and 7th year."

Ruth nodded. "It is," she said as she pulled 'Herbology 101' from the shelf. "I'm just finding it kind of difficult. I thought something here might help."

"I told you not to pick a subject you don't like," Allie scolded gently. "You're spending too much time on Herbology and not on your other subjects, aren't you?"

"It's needed to be an auror," Ruth muttered.

Allie sighed and took the book from her daughter. "We'll buy this for you, but have you spoken to Ms Sprout? Maybe she can fix you up a tutor or some extra classes."

Ruth nodded with a smile. "I'll ask her when I get back to school."

Ruth hadn't told her parents about her tutor lessons, and she didn't plan to. Alison Simpson-Ash was a Herbology prodigy during her time at Hogwarts, and Ruth was basically failing the subject. She didn't want her parents to know that.

"Can we go to Quality Quidditch Supplies next?" Poppy asked as they paid for their books.

"Yeah," Katrina agreed. "The clean sweep 11 and the new nimbus have just been released."

"Ok then," Shane replied as they all left the shop. "Let's head there now."

"I think I'll go to the Leaky Cauldron," Allie said. "Get a butterbeer or something."

"I'll go with you," Ruth said, not liking the sound of looking at brooms.

Ruth enjoyed how her mom didn't enjoy quidditch, just like her. Ruth didn't know what she would do if she had to grow up in a house full of quidditch fanatics, while not liking the game herself.

They arrived in the leaky cauldron, Allie going to get the butterbeer and Ruth finding a seat. She settled in a little booth close to the fireplace.

Ruth's eyes darted around the little pub, it's cozy atmosphere making her feel safe, just like The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmede did.

A WHOOSH sound came from the fireplace and out popped a lady with bright red hair. More people continued to emerge from the fireplace, and very soon, the Weasley family plus Hermione Granger stood in the pub.

Ruth cursed under her breath as Hermione spotted her. The bushy-haired girl made her way towards Ruth, making the presence of the youngest Ash known to the large group.

"Hi Ruth," Hermione greeted cheerfully, taking a temporary seat at the table. "How are you?"

"Good," Ruth smiled. "Just done the school shopping," she said, gesturing to the bags at her feet.

"Oh Herbology 101!" Hermione exclaimed, her eyes focused on one of the bags. "I got that book when I went into first year. It's really good."

"Hopefully you're right," Ruth chuckled, though begging Merlin that Hermione was right internally.

"Hi," Ron Weasley said as he also joined the table. "Where's the rest of your family?"

"Dad, Poppy and Katrina have gone to the Quidditch shop," Ruth explained. "My mom and I decided to come here, since we've no interest in brooms."

"The new clean sweep is out!" Ron said. "The 11. I really hope I can get my hands on one!"

"You can have my clean sweep 5, Ron." Fred appeared behind his brother. "When I get the clean sweep 11."

Fred sat himself down next to Ruth, who was trying to remember when she invited this gang over.

"How's your summer going Ruth?" Fred asked softly.

Ruth shrugged. "Fine. We went to the seaside for a week. Nothing too special."

Ruth wasn't mad at Fred anymore, she didn't see the point, but it felt weird being around him. She couldn't find the courage to look in his eyes.

"That's nice," Fred commented. "Mine hasn't been the best. Broke up with Angelina last week."

"Oh," was all Ruth said.

Silence. Hermione and Ron must have noticed the awkwardness, as they both stood up and left the pub along with the rest of the Weasley family. Fred stayed put, and Ruth wondered what was going on in his mind.

Before he could get a word out, the remaining three members of the Ash family entered the pub.

"Fred, you're family just left," Katrina said once she noticed the pair.

Poppy looked at Ruth's lost face. "Yeah. Maybe you should follow them."

Fred sighed and took one last look at Ruth, as if hoping for her to say something. When she didn't, Fred pushed himself out of the chair and left the building.

"You guys didn't have to throw him out," Ruth muttered.

"He made you cry Ruth!" Katrina exclaimed. "What makes him think you want to talk to him?!"

"I'm not mad anymore," Ruth argued, her mother returning with two butter beers, complaining about queues. Her father also came over with three Butterbeers, beaming as he must have missed the queue.

"Don't let him use you again," Poppy whispered in Ruth's ear, knowing she didn't want their parents to know.

"I won't," Ruth smiled and pulled a mug of butterbeer towards herself. "And he won't."