➳ TWENTY SIX

XVI. DUMBELDORE'S ARMY

The DA, or Dumbledore's Army, had their first meeting a week after the gathering in the Hogs Head

The DA, or Dumbledore's Army, had their first meeting a week after the gathering in the Hogs Head. Ruth and Casper had no idea where the meeting would take place. Ruth, to the displeasure of Casper, decided to ask Fred.

"It's a secret room on the seventh floor," Fred told her. "We're heading there now, you want to come?"

Ruth nodded happily, while Casper looked on in dismay. Ruth really didn't understand why Casper disliked Fred so much, but since Casper couldn't give her a proper explanation, she decided to ignore his bad looks and comments.

The group (consisting of Fred, George, Katrina, Angelina, Poppy, Ruth and Casper) left the common room an hour after dinner ended. Poppy began a small conversation with Casper, which Ruth was thankful for because it gave her the chance to speak to Fred.

"Didn't Umbridge ban clubs like this?" Ruth asked as she fell into step next to Fred.

"She did," Fred hummed. "But we're still going to go ahead with it."

Ruth chuckled. "I've broken a good few rules ever since I starting being around you, you know."

Fred smirked and shoved his hands into his pockets. "You saying I'm a bad influence?"

Ruth hid her smile by looking away. "Something like that."

"You know," Fred said turning his head to make eye contact. "Umbridge has also permitted male and female students from being 8 inches within each other. So try your best to resist me."

Ruth scoffed. "That won't be a problem, Weasley."

Fred shook his head in amusement, his whole body vibrating with a chuckle. "If you say so. But we both know you've got a thing for breaking rules lately, so I wouldn't blame you."

Their light banter continued as they arrived on the seventh floor and stopped in front of a blank wall.

"You need to close your eyes and wish for a place to practice Defence," Fred informed Ruth.

Ruth eyed the red-head. "You're messing with me. You just want me to close my eyes, but then you'll do something."

Fred raised an eyebrow. "You don't trust me?"

"You've given me no reason to," Ruth laughed. She looked around to see most of the group standing with their eyes closed. Looking back at Fred, she realised he was doing the same.

Ruth decided to copy the others, not because of Fred, of course. She followed Fred's instructions, wishing for a place to practice Defence.

Ruth jumped when she felt someone grab her sides, muttering 'boo!' in her ear. Ruth's eyes snapped open and she swatted Fred's hands away.

"I knew it," she exclaimed. "You just wanted to mess with me."

Fred had been laughing at Ruth's reaction, who was glaring at him. "Not at first! You just looked so unsuspecting that I couldn't resist." He pointed at the wall, which now held a large door, as he spoke.

Fred winked at Ruth before pushing the door open and disappearing into the room. Poppy squeezed Ruth's shoulders and sent her a knowing look.

"Let's go," Casper muttered, pulling Ruth into the room.

The majority of the people who were in the Hogs Head were already there, but after a few minutes waiting, the meeting began. It was no surprise that Harry was elected as leader, with him being the teacher of the group.

Hermione then handed out a golden coin to each member, explaining how the coin would share the time and place in which the meetings would take place. Ruth took a second to appreciate how intelligent the fifth year was.

"I was thinking, the first thing we should focus on is Expelliarmus," Harry announced to the group. "I know it's pretty basic, but I found it really useful and-"

"Expelliarmus?" Zacharias Smith exclaimed. "Please. I don't think Expelliarmus is going to help us against You-Know-Who."

"It saved my life in June," Harry said. "But if you feel it's beneath you, you can leave."

Nobody moved; the room went very quiet.

"Let's get started then, shall we?" Hermione squeaked. "It might be best if we split into pairs."

The room obeyed, splitting into pairs and soon, shouts of Expelliarmus filled the room. Ruth had partnered up with Casper, and was disarming him with ease.

"Give me a break," Casper breathed as Ruth sent his wand flying out of his hand for the third time in a row. "Let me disarm you."

"We're duelling," Ruth reminded him. "I'm not going to give the person I'm duelling a chance to disarm me."

Casper picked up his wand and raised his eyebrows. "So I have to force your wand out of your hand?"

Ruth nodded smartly. "Yeah. That's the point of a duel."

Casper smirked as their duel commenced. Although he tried his best, Casper couldn't seem to disarm his friend.

"I'm finally better than you at something," Ruth laughed. "You can't beat me at this."

"Shut up," Casper muttered as Harry blew a whistle, signalling the end of the meeting.

"That we really good," Harry told the group. "But we better leave it there. See you all next week."

"Sooner!" a dark-skinned boy yelled and many others let out noises of agreement.

"Next Wednesday then," Harry compromised.

Ruth and Casper followed the crowd out of the room and made their way back to the Gryffindor common room.

"Hey! Don't be sour just because I beat you," Ruth chuckled as Casper wore a very annoyed look that quickly turned into a smile.

"Don't get too cocky now," Casper said. "You're an amazing duellist, I admit it."

Ruth almost jumped for joy at that statement. "Aurors need to be good duellists."

"An auror is a very dangerous job, especially nowadays," Casper told her.

Ruth nodded. "I know, but it's the only thing I want to do with my life."

Casper nodded slowly, but didn't reply.