➳ TWENTY

XX. LETS RESTART

After only being back in the castle for a week, Ruth was already buried in a mountain of homework

After only being back in the castle for a week, Ruth was already buried in a mountain of homework. She though that she was prepared to brave the tough year she was about to have, but the pressure from teachers proved her wrong. She had a lot of work to do.

The library was full of seventh year students every time Ruth entered it, which was quite often lately. She managed to find an empty table one Thursday afternoon.

Ruth spent quite a while on her Defence Against the Dark Arts homework. Not because she found it hard (she actually found it quite easy) but because of the 12 inch long essay Umbridge had issued to the class.

After her first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson, Ruth had decided Umbridge was one of the most annoying people on this planet. The class involved nothing but reading a book the ministry had introduced. Ruth learned nothing new, only that Umbridge was an irritating and boring woman.

With an aching hand, Ruth finished her essay and pushed her DADA supplies back into her bag. She then took out her Herbology books.

Within a few seconds, Ruth's brain switched from a Defence expert to a Herbology novice. As always, her brain became muddled almost instantly. She sighed heavily, wanting nothing more than to replace her brain with someone else's.

Someone cleared their throat behind her, which made Ruth jump slightly. Turning her head, she saw Fred looking down at her.

"Can I sit?" Fred asked, gesturing towards the empty chair beside her.

Ruth nodded but didn't speak as Fred slid into the seat next to her. They stayed silent; Ruth didn't really have anything to say.

Ruth took this silence as a chance to study Fred's appearance. The freckles that dotted his face were more prominent since the last time Ruth say him; perhaps he had spent the summer in the sun. His hair was lighter too, but only slightly. The main thing Ruth noticed was how tired he look, between his drooped posture and dark eyes. Perhaps the pressure of their upcoming exams were effecting him too.

"Do you need help?" Fred asked, breaking the silence. His voice was quiet, probably since they were in a library but something told Ruth he was being cautious. "With the Herbology homework?"

Ruth shook her head. "Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine."

She was lying.

Silent settled again, awkward this time. Ruth mulled her own words over in her mind. Maybe that was too harsh?

Fred's eyes darted from Ruth to her Herbology books and back again. He let out a sigh, running his hands through his messy hair.

"I'm sorry," he breathed. "For everything that happened last year."

Ruth nodded slowly. "It's ok."

Fred raised his eyebrows. "It's ok? Are you sure? I was a real git."

"I know," Ruth shrugged, a small smile playing on her lips. "It hurt, what happened, but I don't see the point being mad. It's over now."

"Really?" Fred asked.

Ruth chuckled. "Yeah. Just don't do it again."

"I won't! Don't worry," Fred rushed.

"That settles it then," Ruth smiled. "We've started over."

Fred let out a breath of relief, a smile lighting up his features. "Can I show you something?"

Ruth's face was full of confusion and curiosity. "What?" she asked, closing her textbook slowly.

"Oh not right now," Fred said. "But meet me in the common room on Friday. At midnight."

"Ok," Ruth said, wondering what was so secretive that had to be done at midnight. "Friday it is."

"It's a date," Fred smirked as he stood from the table. "Now finish your homework and use your common sense. It helps, I prom- I'm telling you!"

Ruth rolled her eyes and reopened her book as Fred disappeared from the library.