➳ THIRTY FOUR

XXXIV. PRIDE AND HAPPINESS

Ruth was beyond proud of her best friend

Ruth was beyond proud of her best friend. Casper had finally faced his fears and did the thing he'd wanted to do ever since he first stepped foot it Hogwarts.

With the Gryffindor team's seeker and beaters given a lifetime ban, there were multiple vacancies in the team. Casper decided to try out and managed to get onto the team.

"I can't eat," Casper said at breakfast the morning of his first match. "I might be sick."

"You won't," Ruth reassured, holding out a fork load of sausage. "Eat. You'll need it."

Casper smiled before eating the food Ruth was offering him. He quickly finished his breakfast and followed the team down to the quidditch pitch with Ruth, who went to sit with Hermione when she waved frantically at her.

"How's Casper feeling?" Hermione asked. Harry was seated next to her, staring out at the pitch with a numb expression.

"He's nervous," Ruth smiled with a nod. "He never saw himself as a beater, but I think he's got it in him."

The match began soon after that. Ruth actually paid attention instead of zoning out, like she usually did. She knew Casper would give her another run-down of the match from his point of view, and Ruth wanted to be able to add something to that long conversation.

"Hufflepuff gains another point!" Lee announced over the microphone. "It's 20 points to zero in favour of Hufflepuff!"

From the corner of her eye, Ruth could see Harry looking very tense. His jaw was clenched as his eyes darted around the stadium.

"Hufflepuff is in possession once again!" Lee said flatly. "Zacharias Smith goes for a goal- ouch!- but he's stopped by a bludger from Casper Gray!"

Ruth jumped from her seating, clapping her hands above her head. The rest of her house joined in, encouraging their team to keep up the good work.

The game continued, Hufflepuff getting more and more points. Ruth watched as Ron's face grew even more agitated as he continued to let goals in. Casper really seemed to be enjoying himself, hitting every bludger that he came across harshly towards the opposing team.

"Gryffindor chaser Ash soars towards the Hufflepuff hoops- Come on Gryffindor!" Lee shouted. "Hufflepuff beater aims a bludger towards her... but it misses! It hits Gray instead, but Ash scores! Another point to Gryffindor!"

While the rest of her house cheered at the extra point, Ruth could only watch in horror as Casper fell from his broom as a bludger came into contact with his right arm. He landed on the hard ground, circling into a ball as soon as he did.