➳ TWELVE

XII. THE YULE BALL

The entrance hall was full of people when the Ash Triplets arrived

The entrance hall was full of people when the Ash Triplets arrived. Ruth smiled as she scanned the crowd, appreciating the time and effort everybody must have put into their outfits.

"You look nice Rue," Casper commented, linking their arms together. They made their way into the Great Hall, sitting at a random table.

Ruth thanked him, and returned the compliment. Her eyes drifted around the Great Hall, which was decorated beautifully, with giant Christmas trees standing at each corner. They were beautifully decorated with ornaments of red and green; real snow rested on most of the branches.

Ruth eyes found Fred, who was seated beside his brother. Ruth watched as Angelina Johnson, dressed in a gorgeous plum-coloured dress, sat beside him and joined their conversation instantly. She looked away before anyone noticed who she was staring at.

Once everyone had settled down, the doors burst open and in walked the four champions, each with their own dance partner. Ruth couldn't help but smile as they began to dance, some looking better than ever.

A polite applause sounded when the champions finished dancing. They joined the tables, ready for their meal.

"Now how does this work?" Casper asked, readjusting his black robes, that matched his glasses. He looked at his empty plate in front of him, then at the filled plates at the table beside him.

Ruth turned to the professors table, and watched as they leaned towards their plates, saying words Ruth couldn't hear. Food appeared once the teachers pulled away.

Ruth followed the professor's actions, leaning into her plate. Casper sent her a weird look as she said "Lamb Chops."

Ruth felt satisfied when her plate filled with delicious-smelling food. Casper let out a gasp, before copying his friend.

Ruth engaged in interesting conversation with Casper and Kenneth Towler, who was beside her with his date, Patricia Stimpson.

"Fred's looking at you," Casper hissed in her ear, loud enough for Kenneth to hear him.

"Fred Weasley?" Kenneth asked. When Casper nodded, he rolled his eyes. "Not too found of that bloke, I have to say."

"Why?" Ruth asked, forbidding herself from looking in Fred's direction.

"In fifth year, he put Bulbarox Powder in my pajamas," Kenneth said, shivering as it the memory haunted him. "You don't want to know what happened next."