➳ SEVENTEEN

XVII. THE MAZE

(Small time skip)

(Small time skip)

It didn't take long for the third and final task to arrive. After dinner on a warm June day, the entire school made their way down to the quidditch pitch, not for a quidditch match, but for the third task.

"A maze seems pretty simple," Ruth commented as she and Casper took their seats in the stands. "Just keep turning right and you'll reach the middle eventually."

"I doubt it's just an ordinary maze," Casper scoffed. "The tasks have been pretty crazy so far, and I doubt this will be any different."

"I think it's starting," Ruth whispered as the champions were introduced to the crowd. She watched as Cedric and Harry entered the maze first, having both come first in the previous task. Viktor went in second, a third to enter was Fleur.

"So they do have to get to the centre," Casper said. "See the Triwizard Cup?"

Ruth's eyes followed Casper's pointed finger. She noticed something glowing in the centre of the maze. She watched the heads of each of the champions, become irritated whenever they took a wrong turn.

The champions soon get so deep into the maze that Ruth couldn't see them anymore. She felt the need to stand up, but stayed seated in case the person behind her got angry.

"Red sparks!" Ruth said, as a burst of light flew from the maze.

"Yes I can see the sparks," Casper teased. "But I wonder what happened?"

A shriek pierced the air as a hole was burned in the hedge that separated the red sparks from the spectators. Fleur Delacour was pulled from the maze, looking traumatised.

"It must be horrible in there," Ruth said. "Fleur looks horrified!"

Casper didn't reply, his eyes focused on the pitch. The maze looked still, empty, like nobody-or nothing- was in there. But Ruth knew better. The look on Fleur's face was still fresh in her mind. Why would students have to face whatever terrified Fleur? Ruth's respect for the tournament lowered slightly.

Lost in her own thoughts, Ruth jumped when the crowd gasped once again. More red sparks shot up from the maze, closer to the centre this time. A few seconds later, Viktor Krum was ushered from the maze. Even from her seat, Ruth could see his blank expression and clouded eyes. 

"This isn't right," Ruth breathed. "I won't be surprised if something in that maze killed somebody."

"Don't be ridiculous," Casper scolded. "The teachers would never let anyone get seriously hurt for a stupid tournament."

Ruth nodded slowly, feeling reassured.

"I think someone's close to the centre," Casper said, craning his neck to see. "I don't know if it's Harry or Cedric though."

Those who could see the champions were cheering them on, while those who couldn't waited with baited breath.

Suddenly, the light in the centre of the maze grew brighter and then disappeared. Silence settled on the crowd.

"Was that meant to happen?" Casper asked.

Ruth shook her head. "I don't think so. Look at how worried the professors are."

The headteacher of each participating school has joined the judges panel, their heads bowed together as their mouths moved quickly. Madame Maxine was holding Fleur tightly, the young girl shaky.

"What's happening!?" A student shouted into the silence. "Where did they go!?"

"Calm down!" Alastor Moody barked.

People were panicking. It wasn't everyday students suddenly disappeared from the Hogwarts grounds. 5 minutes passed. Then 10. The two Hogwarts boys were nowhere to be seen.

After 20 minutes had passed, a bright light appeared in front of the maze. Ruth covered her eyes to avoid being blinded. Once she uncovered them, she saw both Harry and Cedric lying in the grass.

"He's back!" Harry screamed. "He's back! I-I couldn't leave him!"

Ruth took a closer look at the boys. Harry was freaking out, his body covering Cedric's, who was unnaturally still.

"Casp," Ruth whispered. "He's-"

Ruth couldn't even finish her sentence. A cry of agony came from Amos Diggory as he fell to his knees beside his dead son.

Ruth hadn't been very close with Cedric, but seeing him there, lifeless, made her recall all the times he had spoken to her in Potions class, despite Snape being close by. He was the person you could always approach and he'd welcome you with open arms.

But now he was dead.

Cho Chang had now joined Amos Diggory, tears streaming down her pretty face. Harry had been pulled from the scene by Professor Moody.

"Everybody return to the castle," Dumbeldore yelled. "Immediately!"

Ruth and Casper obeyed instantly, as did many others. As the school dragged their feet away from the quidditch pitch, Ruth's eyes scanned each person, tears present in almost everyone's eyes. Tears pricked her own eyes, but one question still weighed on her mind.

Who was back?