➳ SEVEN

VII. DANCE PRACTICE

Ruth and Casper found themselves outside the Transfiguration classroom, along with the rest of the Gryffindor house

Ruth and Casper found themselves outside the Transfiguration classroom, along with the rest of the Gryffindor house. A chatter ran among the students, everyone wondering why McGonagall had called on them all to report to her office.

Everyone but Ruth and Casper.

"Fred Weasley is your tutor?" Casper hissed.

Ruth shushed him harshly. "Don't say it so loudly! And yes, he is."

"He's best known as a prankster, not someone who could be a good tutor!" Casper exclaimed. "How did the session go anyway?"

Ruth shrugged. "We talked and stuff."

"Talked?" Casper said. "Did you two do any study?" When Ruth shook her head slowly, Casper continued. "You need to ask Professor Sprout for a new tutor."

"Don't be so dramatic, Casp," Ruth said, as McGonagall appeared and ushered the students into her classroom. "It's not that big of a deal. I'll just have to work harder in class."

Casper opened his mouth to retort but was interrupted by McGonagall's clear voice.

"Ladies to one side, gentlemen to the other," she announced. With a wave of her wand, the professor had pushed all the chairs to either side of the room and the tables against the back wall.

Ruth and Casper separated to sit with their respective genders. Ruth smiled at Angelina Johnson as she sat down beside her.

"I suppose you are all wondering why I've invited you all here," McGonagall said once the room fell silent. "Along with the Triwizard Tournament comes another event, The Yule Ball. It is, technically, a dance."

Groans emitted from the side of the room opposite Ruth. Casper sent her a quick smile.

"Quiet now," McGonagall said. "Inside every girl is a swam preparing to spread her wings, and in every boy is a lion, ready to pounce."

Ruth cringed at the professors words. There was definitely no swan inside of her.

"This dance is open to fourth years and above, unless a younger student is invited," McGonagall continued. "I'm here to teach you all to dance. Mr Weasley, please come here."

Ruth watched in amusement as a boy, presumably a younger brother to the Weasley twins, was forced to dance with the professor. His friends and brother teased him as he swayed with McGonagall.

"Everyone up!" McGonagall announced. "Find a partner!"

Ruth stood and looked across the room. Her eyebrows rose when she noticed Fred Weasley looking in her direction. He crossed the room as Ruth debated on what to say when he asked her to be his partner.

He didn't. He went straight to Angelina Johnson, who was still beside her.

Even though Fred has shown no signs of seeing her, Ruth felt absolutely mortified. She quickly made her way to Casper, who was waiting for her.

"May I have the honour?" Casper smirked.

Ruth shrugged. "I suppose."

Ruth has grown up dancing with her siblings, dancing having been a bit part of her parents early relationship. Casper was good to, having not danced before in his life.

"What do you think about this ball?" Ruth asked as they swayed to the music.

"It should be fun," Casper replied. "You'll need to find a date, Rue."

Ruth scrunched up her nose. "I won't have one. Nobody likes me," she laughed.

Casper rolled his eyes with a small chuckle as they continued to dance.

NOTES~>
This chapter is quite boring, sorry :(