➳ THIRTY TWO

XXXII. SHE CAN TRUST HIM

Ruth had a boyfriend

I repeat, Ruth had a boyfriend.

Over the first few days back at Hogwarts, Ruth had to remind herself more than three times a day that she was, in fact, dating Fred Weasley.

Nothing drastic had changed between them, it wasn't like he was kissing her and declaring his love to her every time he saw her. He wasn't a very affectionate boyfriend, but those cheeky secret winks and subtle touches made Ruth not care.

Her sisters were ecstatic when Ruth first told them; they screamed so loudly Ruth was afraid Dumbledore could hear them from his office. Poppy had tackled Ruth into a hug while Katrina had sprinted to find Fred.

"I thought that when Poppy and George didn't work out, that would be the end of us being related!" Katrina had yelled as she threw her around around Fred, who looked very confused. "But now when you and Ruth get married, we'll be siblings Freddie!"

Fred had shoved Katrina off him, looking over at Poppy and Ruth who had just come from the girls dorms. "I think I'd die within a week if we were siblings, Kat."

Ruth hadn't told anyone other than her sisters, not wanting to sound cocky, but somehow, most of the Hogwarts population found out about the couple within a few days. Ruth noticed she began receiving a lot more attention from people she'd never really spoken to; she also received a few bad looks from Angelina Johnson and her friends.

Ruth had been planning on telling Casper herself, but he found out through someone else. Ruth apologised profusely but Casper must have been really upset that his best friend didn't tell him this news, since he was distant for the remainder of the day.

Ruth joined Casper at the Gryffindor table for breakfast the morning after their little fight. He smiled at her as she sat, telling Ruth they things were back to normal between them.

"I've a Care of Magical Creatures test today," Casper told her. His textbook was opened beside him and Ruth took a quick look at the information. She didn't understand most of it since she didn't take up the subject for fifth year.

"Something interesting must be in the papers this morning," Casper commented, looking around. "Everyone's reading the Daily Prophet."

Ruth copied him in looking around. She scrunched up her nose. "I don't know if I want to read it. The last story everyone was reading was the one on the Yule Ball. About Fred and I."

After a moments hesitation, Casper nodded. "It's probably rubbish."

"People seem worried," Ruth commented, her eyes landing on a particularly distressed Slytherin who was being consoled by her friends.