- chapter nineteen

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter nineteen

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ELIO IS ASLEEP, leaned against her back as they ride down a valley. Lex was kind enough to get them a couple of orbaks. From where exactly he got them, Florence doesn't want to know. It's unimportant and she gets the feeling that the answer would disappoint her. Being on horseback is much better than walking, so she won't question anything.

The reins are sore against her bare hands, but she bites down, hard, and doesn't complain. She is not in a position in which she quite has the right to even complain. Lex took them under his wing and brought them to safety, headed away from the chaos the first order created in their village. She is safe now, or at least safer than she was before he came along, and for that she is incredibly grateful.

"What exactly happened to you guys anyways?" Lex asks, eyes locked on a mountain in the distance. He glances slightly at Florence who seems to grow tense at the question.

"We were ambushed..." she looks down at her hands, her grip around the reins growing harder. "By the first order. They killed our mother and father."

"I'm sorry," he replies, dropping his head. "Do you know why?"

"Why they killed my family? No, I'm afraid I don't." She replies, sarcasm riddled in her tone.

He pulls his reins back to slow down his orbak so they're riding side by side. He tries to get her to look at him. "No no, I'm sorry, that's not what I meant. I mean, why would they suddenly ambush a small village?"

She meets his gaze. "I have no idea, they're monstrous bastards," she says, anger coloring her tone. An angry huff escapes her lips.

Lex hums in agreement. Then he looks at her, puzzled, eyes narrowed as he scans her appearance. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen," she replies, looking over her shoulder at her brother. "Elio is ten."

Lex swallows hard. He hadn't quite realized just how young they both are. "I'm sorry, that must be tough."

"Mhm," she replies, biting down on her lip to hold in tears.

"But hey," he rides ahead just enough to catch her attention. Their eyes meet. "You're not alone. You can come with me for as long as you like. I'm headed towards work but we'll find you someplace along the way."