- chapter thirty-one

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

fade: chapter thirty-one

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE FORBIDDEN VALLEY OF PASAANA is not as desolate as Florence had expected it to be with a name like that. Today, of all days, the desert is colorful and loud, a species of alien she has never seen before dancing in sync at a large festival. C3PO explains it is a once every 42 years happening, which is quite lucky. Or unlucky, depending on how this goes.

They walk in a crooked line down the rocky mountainside towards all the commotion. The Aki-Aki don't seem to care about their presence, too caught up in their beautiful dance they have waited, probably some of them an entire lifetime for.

Rey is awestruck at the sight, her face plastered with a large smile as they push through the crowd as discreetly as possible. "I've never seen anything like this!"

"I've never seen so few wayfinders," Finn counters, walking past her.

Poe ignores them both - he's on edge, looking around them carefully. "There's always random first order patrols in crowds like these, so keep your heads down. Chewie."

Chewie roars in response, walking all hunched so he won't stick out too much in the crowd. Florence lets out a small chuckle at the sight.

"Let's split up, see what the locals know."

Florence and the Wookiee head their own way while Poe and Finn head straight ahead — neither of them noticing Rey has become occupied talking with a young Aki-Aki.

They walk through the crowds, eyes peeled for anything that looks particularly out of the ordinary. Only, everything looks out of the ordinary here. Florence has never seen anything quite like this in all her life, something so vibrant and good-spirited. These people mean no harm and neither do they — but she has a sinking feeling in her chest that things won't go to plan. Things rarely do.

"Do you happen to speak this language?" She glances at Chewbacca who shakes his head in response, letting out a small growl. Florence cannot remember ever learning shyriiwook, but she understands him well.

"Yeah, figured. Me neither, so this seems kinda pointless," she frowns. "Maybe we should find the guys before we stray too far away," she looks around them, scanning the crowd for any human faces. They walk through a small area of food stands, the scents overwhelming her senses; she feels both hungry and sick at the same time. Swallowing down her anxieties, she says nothing of it.