XXXIII

Chapter Thirty-Three

Grayson sat down in one of the many chairs that filled the hospitals waiting area with his head in his hands as his legs bounced up and down. His eyes were closed as he sent a silent prayer up to whatever God was up there listening praying that Ava and their baby was okay.

Guilt washed over his body of the thought of what happened to Ava and the baby. If he never dated Corey and didn't even give her a second thought they wouldn't be in this mess and Ava would be happily healthy and not laying on a table fighting for her or her daughters life.

If he just went with her to the stupid library like she asked him to instead of staying home to surprise her with a stupid crib she would be smiling and safe while stuffing her face with chocolate covered strawberries but no, he had to lie and say that he wasn't feeling well.

"Have you heard anything new?" Ava's father asks walking into the waiting area with a bag of McDonald's in his hand.

Grayson shakes his head sitting up straight his legs still bouncing with nervousness. Even though he asked Larry to bring him a BigMac he couldn't stomach the food not when there wasn't any news about Ava or the baby. Instead, he just left the box in the chair next to him as he watched everybody else eat.

Wren sitting next to Dylan and his boyfriend eating chicken nuggets while her father sat in the chair opposite of Grayson eating his BigMac. They've been sitting in the waiting room for nearly three hours and they still haven't heard any updates about Ava or the baby.

When Grayson got the call from Wren that Ava was being rushed to the hospital because she was shot panic rose inside of Grayson and he left the house only wearing his basketball shorts not caring that he wasn't wearing a shirt or that it was still chilly outside what mattered was that Ava and the baby were okay.

"She'll be okay. My girls are fighters." Larry smiles patting Graysons tense shoulders. "And if Arya is anything like her mother she'll fight too."

Grayson doesn't say anything. What was he supposed to say? I'm sorry that it's my fault your daughter got shot by my psycho ex?

God, he felt like such an idiot.

At first when Wren told him that Corey was the one who shot them he didn't want to believe it. Sure Corey might be fucking crazy but she wasn't crazy enough to attempt murder, at least that's what he used to think until he spoke to one of the police officers who were at the scene and told him and showed him the footage of Corey with a gun aimed at Ava.

Thankfully, Corey was caught not too far from campus and is being held in custody until further notice. If Ava gets through this and everything ends up being okay Corey will be doing some serious time and Ava will have the potential of suing and getting a restraining order and if Ava or the baby don't make it, well Grayson didn't want to think about that.