Prologue

Two years ago: 

I slammed my car door shut and ran over to the crime scene. I was now a cop after all this time. I never thought I would be here because since age 6 I refused to work for the law. "Alyson, what on god's name are you doing?" Terry asked. Terry was my boss and hated when I came in on cases that he never called me in on. "I'll just be a second," I said. I ran onto the scene and joined my partner, Claire. Claire was one of my closest friends. She knew me since I was 7. "Hey." She said.

"What do we have here?" I asked looking down at the dead body.

"A murder. Two bits to the neck and missing blood. The usual." She said.

"We got some crazy people in this town," I said.

"Got that right." She said. I bent down to the body and examined the neck. Like the others, it had two-bit marks placed on the neck at an accurate angle just like the others. Lately, we had been seeing more and more bodies like this. I had a lead on a guy named Luther Martin, but no one wants to get wrapped up with him. He is a very dangerous man and no one knows what he is fully capable of. "It's the same as the others," I said letting her know what I was seeing.

"Who is really this crazy?" She asked. I had someone in mind, but I said nothing. She hated when I tried to drag her into the situation involving Luther. "I just wish this sicko was in jail," I said instead of what I wanted to say.

"You should go pick up, Adam," Claire said. Adam was my 5-year-old son. She only brought up Adam when she thought that I was going to do something stupid or risky. "Stew's going to pick him up," I said. Stew was my husband and a great father to our son. On my way to the station, I dropped Adam off at school. I was going to stay with him since it was a half-day at his school, but I got called in so I had to drop him off. "Don't you wanna surprise him?" She asked, her eyes pleading for me to just leave and let her handle this one alone. "Okay okay. I get the hint I'll go." I said. She tried to laugh it off, but I saw the relief on her face. I got into the patrol car and drove to the station to get my car. I pulled out my phone when I got to the station and called Stew. "Hey, babe." He said after about the second ring. "Hey, I'm going to pick up Adam,"  I said.

"You sure?" Stew asked. He always thought that me picking up Adam would be a burden on my job or something. "Yeah, I wanna surprise him." I lied. I loved Adam to death, but I really wanted to be able to prove Luther guilty for these crimes. I had no idea why, but I had a feeling that something was truly wrong with this guy. Maybe because I saw him and my father one night together talking in secret. Who knows? Just something about this guy rubs me the wrong way. "Be careful." Stew said snapping me out of my thoughts. "Promise," I said.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too Stew," I said and hung up. I got in the car and drove to Time for Tots kindergarten school. I got there and Adam was sitting on the step no bout waiting for his father. "Adam," I said. Adam looked up and a smile lit upon his face. I smiled back to him and he ran to me "Mommy." he said. I lifted him up off the ground and placed him in my hip and kissed him. "Did you miss me?" I asked. "I missed you a lot." He said.

"I missed you a bunch," I said. He giggled and I put him in his chair in the backseat of my car. I got into the driver seat and buckled my seat belt and drove off. We were now a couple of blocks away from our house when something appeared in front of my car and I stomped down on the break to try to stop the car before hitting whatever was in my way. My head slammed hard against the steering wheel, but I didn't blackout yet. My head was killing me and I could feel myself getting weaker, but my love for Adam drove me to stay awake and see if he was okay. I saw him breathing heavily, and blood falling off of his forehead. I climbed to the back and grabbed Adam hovering over him as if the thing that made him hurt would strike, but as a mother your unreasonable in this situation. Your only thought it to save your child and make sure that they are okay rather than are you yourself okay. Someone ripped the door off the hinges and I panicked. I moved my eyes off of Adam for a split second to see what had done that to my car. Whatever it was grabbed Adam from me. I screamed and tried to pull Adam back into my arms, but I was too late. "Help me, mommy," Adam screamed as I tried desperately to grab hold of him. "I'm coming," I yelled scrambling out of the car to get to him. I was fast, but not fast enough because the thing bit right into Adam' neck. Adam screamed in pain and then slowly his voice faded. I took a step toward the person standing in darkness, but they quickly dropped Adam. "This is your first only warning. Tell anyone and your dead." The person said and disappeared as if one with the night. All my training was gone and I ran over to Adam who was losing too much blood for his own good. I tried to stop the blood with my hands, but it was too much even for me. Something bit into my neck and I yelped in pain almost as Adam had. I was trying to fight off the creature and save my son. The creature soon released my neck. Before thinking I pulled out my gun, and I shot at it. The creature was gone, and I faced my son again. I was about to start applying pressure to his little neck when I realized that it was no use. Adam was dead and there was no bringing him back. My sadness was soon replaced with rage. I couldn't think and I could barely speak. My rage then turned into bitterness, and I did what any human being would do, I called the cops even though I was a cop. I was supposed to be able to stop things like this from happening. Within moments they were there putting my son into a body bag and taking pictures of the crime scene to get any type of evidence that they could find. Stew arrived once his boss let him out of work, and ran straight to me. I collapsed in his arms and cried. I usually never cried, but I just watched my son die right in front of my face. I couldn't save him because I wasn't strong enough. I hated feeling weak. I remember the only other time I felt this way. My father had been killed and I could do nothing about it. Stew thought he understood why, and began to caress my hair. "Where's Adam?" Was all he asked. Why didn't anyone tell him that our son was gone. Why did they leave me to say it. "In the body bag," I said in between sobs. Claire approached us and looked at me the sincere in her eyes. "I have to ask you some questions, Alyson," she said not looking me in the eyes.