Chapter 1

I quickly finished the beer and threw it at the wall. For some reason I was always constantly angry and the sun burned my eyes more than they did before. I tried to ignore it, but every-time I looked up at it I got instantly irritated with it. I opened my fridge for another beer, but there was nothing in there except for food that my body often refused to eat. I slammed it shut and grabbed my sweater and sunglasses. Considering it was perfect weather I got dirty looks from some people as I walked in a sweater and sunglasses on. I arrived at Duke's and walked inside. Silence filled the room and I smiled to myself. "You'd think someone just died," I  said walking up to the counter.

"Nice to see you, Alyson." Duke, the owner said. Duke never criticized me nor turned me away. He was a good friend to me. Yes, I considered him my friend. "I need the biggest case of beer that you sell," I said. "You know from 48 it went down to 36," he said.

"Why?" I asked out of pure curiosity and annoyance at whoever made it go down.

"The dang government," he said.

"I say forget the government," I said to him paying for the beer. He took the money and gave me my change. After Adam died the only person I truly smiled for was Duke. Duke was like a father or grandfather to me. Some of the ladies here made rumors that Duke and I were together which was preposterous since he was 60 and I was only 26. Duke went to the back to get my case of beer when the front door opened. A guy well dressed and fine as I don't know what walked inside. He walked over to the front bar and sat next to me. "It's a great day outside," he said not really directed to anyone, but I felt the need to respond. "Not for everyone," I said.

"I was making conversation," he said holding his hands up as if in a surrendering gesture.

"Whatever," I said.

"I'm Matt," he said lowering his hands for me to shake.

"Good for you. You know your name." I said.

"Do you have a name?" he asked.

"Here you go sunshine," Duke said with my beer in a bag.

"Thanks, Duke," I said taking the bag and hopping off the stool.

"Need help with that?" Matt asked just trying to be polite.

"I can handle it," I said picking the bag off the table as if it were a feather. Duke was over and done by being impressed with that move so he just shook his head and smiled.