Chapter 21 - Trouble in paradise

She looks at me for a minute, before replying
"Because the name Elisa reminds me of my past and misfortunes"

"So do you want me to call you Elisa or Nora?" I softly ask her.

"I like it better when you call me Elisa" she smiles.

"Its surprising how we almost never talked back then in highschool." I say, remembering how she avoided me by all means

"To be honest, I was mad at you"
"Why?" I raise a brow.
"I thought you didn't recognize me or you were ignoring me, plus you were dating Aria, my best friend" she frowns

"Aren't you mad at her? " she stands to her feet and walks to the kitchen and I follow her.

"Would you like to drink or eat anything?" She tries to change the topic.

"You haven't answered my question" I cross my arms.

"What question?" She pours herself a glass of orange drink, from a sweating glass jug, purposely ignoring my question.

"Are you mad at Aria?"

After staring at me for what seems like hours, she finally answers.
"I don't know....I don't even have the right to be mad at her, she doesn't even know. Her family has helped me a lot. I....I-"

"Put all those aside. Are you mad at her?"

"Yes I am. To be honest I am fucking angry. I'm not only mad, I envy her. She has everything. She's happy, lives the life of luxury I've always wanted, she has a happy and complete family, she's beautiful....and as if those aren't enough, she has you, she's complete. She has everything I ever wanted" she sighs

"She doesn't have one of the things you mentioned there." I shrug and she looks up at me.

"Which is?"

"Me...she doesn't have me. I might be her husband, but its you my heart belongs to. It always has"

"Then why did you get married to her. If you love me as much as you claim, why did you marry her Alexander?" Her eyes become teary again.

"I had no choice Elisa, I was helpless."
"Helpless? When all you could have said was I can't carry on with this marriage. Why marry her when you won't be happy? When your heart belongs to another, why?"

"I was forced to do so, I had no option, I had no say" I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"Who forced you? Your parents?" She crosses her arms.

"If I didn't get married to her, our company would've fallen apart. This is a company my dad has worked so hard for. The only way I could save the company was to get married to Aria Belleville, because the Belleville's will be very good business partners"
I try to explain, but she isn't getting it.

"So your marriage with her is all because of business? When will you stand up for yourself Alex? For how long would you allow your family to control you? How do you think Aria would feel when she finds out you were only using her to fulfill your parents' wishes?!" She yells.

"I am not using her. I...I kind of love her..." I trail off. I know I sound really stupid right now, but I don't know what to say.

"You what? Alexander you just told me its me you love and now you kinda love Aria?" she laughs a humorless laugh. "One second you love me, one second you love Aria. Make up your mind Alex. Indecision is a decision and its a decision for failure. It's either you choose the one you truly love or the one you married only for a business deal. Because this way you're going, you might end up losing the both of us." She breathes after her long speech. I know she's right, but its not that easy.