17

We walked towards my house, hand in hand, not having to care if anyone saw us because it was so dark already and there were no streetlights in this part of the suburbs. We weren't really talking much because there wasn't anything to say. I was still coming down from the high of the make-out session. I was trying to calm down my hormones but it didn't help that Vic kept playing with my fingers or lightly bumping into me playfully as we walked. It's near impossible to not be turned on whenever he's near. Nonetheless, I did eventually push what happened earlier to the back on my mind and enjoyed the silent walk home instead.

I began thinking of what happened when we got back to his house that afternoon; the incident with the picture. He lied to me about only having one ex; he actually has two, possibly even more. I desperately wanted to know the story behind those two people; I mean it must have been pretty bad if Vic refused to talk about it. I don't even think I want to know to be honest. I have a feeling that whatever it is will only cause problems, so it's better living in a blissful ignorance for now. Besides, I'm so content with him right now, so I wouldn't want to make him angry again. I was brought back to reality by a random question thrown out by Vic.

"So, like, what happened with your mom? We don't have to talk about it. I'm just curious." He said. I was maybe a little bit annoyed that he didn't open up to me but expected me to open up to him, but I guess that's just the type of person he is. I'm sure he'll talk to me when he feels like it.

"No, it's okay, uh, my Dad used to hurt her a lot, like worse than he's ever hurt me. So one day a couple of months ago I packed her things and begged her to leave, and she did. I haven't heard from her since." I said. This is the first time I ever really told anyone about that. The kids back in Michigan didn't care and neither did anyone here.

"That must be really hard on you." Vic said. I just shrugged, not really wanting to think about it anymore.

"What about your family? What's their story?" I asked to shift the focus away from me. I looked at Vic in the moonlight to see that he was facing forward.

"There is no story. We're just your normal, average family." He said. He stopped walking and stood in front of me, making me stop too. He held both of my hands, lacing our fingers together. We were out the front of my house now. There were no lights on, but my dad's car was there so I knew he was home.

"And so we begin my least favorite part of the day, leaving you." He said. It took everything in me not to blush or let out a ridiculous girly giggle. He is such a sweet talker. I fucking hate it sometimes, but it always made me feel good about myself, no matter how lame it was.

"Stop it." I said with a smile that I couldn't keep back.

"You should really smile more." Vic said, smiling back at me.

"Why?"

"Because you always seem so depressed all the time. I like it when you're happy." He said quietly. This just made me smile more and look away from him as I blushed. I didn't realize that I seemed depressed all the time, but the fact that he likes it when I'm happy makes me feel, I don't know, special? Like, no one else in my life wants me to be happy and he does. Plus, it crushed all previous thoughts about me thinking he liked to make me miserable.

"I have to go now." I said sadly. I knew it was just past eight o'clock so if I'm any later then there'll be hell to pay. Vic looked back at me with a concerned face

"I'm always worried when I have to leave you." He said. I gave a small smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

"It's okay. I'll be fine. I haven't done anything wrong lately so he has no reason to do anything to me. Besides, I told you, he's not that abusive. He just gets a bit pushy sometimes." I said, although it was a lie. He knew the last part was a lie. He saw the bruises after one of my dad's most brutal attacks, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of this and I think Vic knew that.