❧ CHAPTER 7

season 6 episode 13

Mark and Natalia came to a stop in the hospital waiting room as they saw Derek on the stairs, who was mentally preparing himself to give a speech to the hospital staff

Natalia subtly nudged Mark, "Stop staring."

"What? I'm not." Mark casually said as he brought his phone out of his pocket to look as if he was concentrated on something else while his eyes still remained on Lexie.

"Yes you are." Natalia took away his phone and moved his head to face Derek, "We're here to support our friend. Stop staring at your ex-girlfriend and support your friend by making eye contact with him."

"Fine."

Derek cleared up his throat, "I want to thank you all for being here, I know you're busy, so I'll try to make this quick. As you may have heard, I have been appointed—" 

Natalia zoned out his speech as she looked at Mark, who was once again looking at Lexie, so she roughly nudged him and whispered, "Seriously, stop staring, you're going to burn holes in her head." 

"—Mistakes have been made. I intend to right those wrongs, and, uh... bring this hospital back to its formal glory."

Before Derek could wrap up his speech, everyone's heads turned to face former chief, Dr. Webber, who came in with a board member. Natalia nudged Mark and as he opened his mouth to tell her he wasn't looking at Lexie this time, he saw what she was looking at.

"What I meant... uh, by that is— what I'm trying to say is," Derek fumbled around for words, but the appearance from Webber obviously got him startled, "I want to thank you for your support in advance. Uh, that's all. Okay, let's get back to work." 

Hearing others clapping, Natalia and Mark began to clap for their friend as well until Mark nudged Natalia, "Stop staring." 

Natalia, who was absent-mindedly staring at Owen, blinked and looked at Mark, "I was not."

"Was too."

Their pagers went off as Natalia rolled her eyes and softly pushed Mark, "Shut up and let's get to our patient." 

Owen, Mark, and Natalia were walking down the hallway together as Owen asked Natalia a question, "What's your obsession with hot pretzels and blue slushies?"

"It's not an obsession." 

"Then what is it?"

"A lifestyle."

"No, it's an obsession." Mark said as he put away his phone, looking at the two, "She's been obsessed since we went to this place a block away from the hospital I worked at."

"How old were you?"

"Probably early twenties, late teen years; I don't remember but what I do remember is eating that amazing salty—"