❧ CHAPTER 41

season 9 episode 17

Drinking her coffee, Natalia looked at Arizona, who turned around with their detailed plans for the hospital in hand, "Jackson Avery really has a bigger say than any of us in running this hospital?"

"That can't be true." Cristina commented as Arizona passed her one of the planners, "Can it?"

Derek replied, "Well, he's a voting member of the management team."

Natalia nodded and continued, "And he also represents the Harper Avery Foundation."

"And their 175 million bucks." Callie sighed as she sat down.

"As opposed to our $15 million apiece." Arizona said as she sat down next to Callie.

Callie chuckled as Derek added, "According to Stan, not only does he have the deciding vote, he can veto ours."

"That is ridiculous." Cristina sat down next to Natalia, "He's a fellow."

"So are you." Meredith responded.

"But he's a plastics fellow. And I'm me."

Natalia rolled her eyes and shook her head as Meredith looked at Cristina, "Well, let's not overreact. I mean, it's Jackson. He's not some corporate stranger. He's one of us."

"No, you're right." Derek nodded as Natalia skimmed through the planner, "He's a smart kid. He's gonna follow our lead."

"No." Callie disagreed, "No. We made this plan." She gestured at everyone in the table, "We pulled it together. Look, I'm grateful to Harper Avery for an infusion of cash, but I'm--I'm not gonna let some-- some..."

Cristina looked at Callie and suggested, "Plastics fellow?"

Callie continued, "Plastics fellow tell me how to run my service 'cause his mommy said he could."

Arizona nodded, "Preach."

"Okay," Natalia went over what they just discussed without Jackson, since he was running a bit late, "so we're agreed that the Peds and adult E.R.s will be combined to save on personnel?"

A chorus of agreements were heard as Jackson walked into the room with binders and a pink box on top, "I'm sorry, guys." He apologized as he set everything down on the table and Natalia took a seat next to him, "I was running on time, and then my last rounds' patient turned into a crier." He smiled at them as he put the pink box in the middle and opened it to show donuts, "Pow."

Everyone, excluding Natalia, looked at the donuts and Jackson before going back to looking at the folder. Natalia, who could immediately sense the awkward tension in the air, leaned forward to grab a donut and looked at Jackson with a smile, "Thanks."