❧ CHAPTER 39

a/n : this is a big chapter... oops.

season 9 episode 12 & 14 & 15

"Okay folks." Owen announced, looking out at his surgical staff and spotted Natalia next to Derek and Jackson, "Let's just start." He walked up to the stairs and stood on the second step as he cleared his throat, "As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of that setback as small as possible. To that end, we're gonna have to initiate some cost-cutting measures. The board has hired a physician advisor to help."

"What's a physician advisor?" Meredith asked from her seated position at the Nurse's station.

"Well, she consults on maximizing efficiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets."

"Who to fire and when to fire them?" Dr. Bailey joked as she opened up her water bottle, causing Natalia to chuckle before stopping herself and clearing her throat, trying to be supportive of Owen's speech.

"She's here to advise and help. I was hoping to introduce her in person," Owen looked at his watch, "but she seems to be late." 

"Oh," Cristina remarked, "on her first day?" She looked around, "Not very efficient."

There was a chorus of laughter and Owen continued, "You can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the O.R."

"So we're gonna have an accountant following us around in the O.R.s?" Derek questioned.

"She's not an accountant. She is a trained surgeon. Frankly, she is here to try to help us."

Natalia coughed and spoke under her breath to Derek, "She's an accountant."

Owen nodded at the crowd, "Thank you for your cooperation."

Unfortunately for Natalia and Owen, because Alana Cahill, the physician advisor, needed a tour around the hospital for the past two days to study the hospital to see what needed to be cut; they weren't able to have their usual meet-ups in the on-call rooms. Instead, Natalia was distracted by interesting fetal surgeries that came through the E.R., assisting Dr. Herman with a few and had Owen visit her in her shared apartment with Jackson.

So now, Natalia and the other surgical attendings sat and stood in the conference room as Alana Cahill spoke to all of them, "All right, welcome. Welcome, everyone." Natalia stood in between Jackson and Owen as the last attending came into the room and closed the door, "Thank you so much for coming." Cahill stood up from her chair and looked at the attendings, "It has been a privilege to watch you work, and I am so impressed with what I've seen." She gestured to Alex, "Dr. Karev's pediatric African Exchange Program--"