❧ CHAPTER 25

season 7 episode 20

"This is Zola." Alex said, clicking the button on the remote that controlled the projector to show an image of the African baby in the conference room, "She's 6 months old, born with spina bifida..."

"Adorable African children." Cristina shook her head as she looked at Alex's presentation, along with the other doctors, "Karev is a genius."

"Yeah," Jackson leaned in to whisper, "he's single-handedly stealing chief resident out from under all of us, and we're helping him do it. I mean, we can't exactly refuse to treat little sick kids without making ourselves look bad." 

Natalia sighed, "Ugh, he is a genius." 

April looked up at the group, "Or..." April spoke in African dialect which had Cristina, Jackson, and Natalia looking at her confusion, "...that's what they say in swahili."

Cristina made a slightly irritated face, "Well, he only has a shot because I've been benched. The playing field has been leveled." She looked at her friends, "You're all welcome." 

Meredith looked up from her chair, "My Alzheimer's trial kicks African-orphan ass. It kicks all of your asses."

"Do you want to keep it down back there?" Richard asked, causing Natalia to put a hand over her mouth to try and stop her from laughing at the fact that the chief had just heard Meredith say 'African-orphan ass,' "I'm trying to listen to what appears to be the next chief resident talking."

"Before we go," Alex stated as he finished his presentation, "I just want to say thank you to all of you for your participation. It, uh, truly means more than I could say."

All of the attendings began to clap, slowly, and Natalia mouth formed into an 'o' and she frowned her eyebrows as Jackson pointed around at the doctors, "Slow clap." Jackson rolled his eyes, "They're giving him the slow clap. Come on. I'm not giving him the slow clap. Ridiculous."

Natalia, Jackson, and Dr. Webber put on their yellow surgical coats before walking into the room where all of their mice were.

"Okay," Dr. Webber started, "I want to personally check the incision sites, any weight fluctuations, the patients' glucose levels." They walked inside and put on their gloves, Dr. Webber looking at the cages, "...When was the last time you two cleaned these cages?" Natalia and Jackson looked at each other before giving the chief a sheepish smile, "A clean cage means a lower infection rate, which means F.D.A. approval, understood?"

"Cages. Got it, sir." Natalia nodded, as she grabbed the charts for the mice.

"I mean, you'd think being on the chief's research project would help in the race for chief resident. You might even think it'd make me a contender." Jackson complained, getting up to clean another mouse's cage while Lexie worked on peeling the skin from a plum and Natalia cleaned the cages on the other side, "Only I'm not saving little kids or people with Alzheimer's. I'm cleaning up mouse poop."