❧ CHAPTER 31

season 8 episodes 21 & 23

"You have my number in case of any last minute questions, correct?" Dr

"You have my number in case of any last minute questions, correct?" Dr. Herman asked Natalia as they waited outside the bus that would take all the fifth year residents to San Francisco for their Boards.

"Yes." Natalia nodded.

"And my binders?"

"No," Natalia answered, knowing Herman would kill her if she had any of Herman's own binders because she didn't want to risk it getting lost in transport, "I have my own notes of your notes, with separators for each section and highlighted--"

"Good." Herman nodded proudly before going back to a cold face, "And remember, it's a relatively new field so they'll ask you questions that will--"

"Probably have different procedures and I should be ready to list all the different ways and/or why mine is the best move." Natalia smiled, "We've been through this a thousand times, Dr. Herman."

"And like everything we've done since your first day with me, we'll go over it again until I'm ready to let you go on your own."

"I am a soldier!" April's voice was heard by the van which caused Natalia to look over in confusion.

"Good, now get on the bus." Owen said, patting April on the back.

"Don't have a 'Natalia moment,' like you did with Mrs. Denver--"

"To be fair," Natalia defended, "she was one of my first cases and I've never seen a baby outside of the womb. It was in her guts!"

"Review the binders--"

"Before I go to sleep and have a full breakfast." 

"Okay, you're ready. Get on the bus," Dr. Herman smiled, "become the sixth fetal surgeon on the west of the Mississippi River and don't let me down."

Natalia nodded, "No pressure."

Natalia took perhaps two steps away from Dr. Herman as she rolled her suitcase and Mark grabbed her wrist, "Roar!"

"I'm right here, you don't have to shout my name." Natalia rolled her eyes as Dr. Herman walked back into the hospital and Mark started his pep talk.

"Order the salmon for dinner. And tell room service to make sure it's not frozen, you'll lose omega-3s if it's frozen. I don't know how you are on cash so here," Mark took out a wad of cash and passed it to Natalia, "stick it in your purse or something."

"Jesus, Mark. How much do you think salmon costs?" Natalia asked as she looked at how much money he gave her and he grabbed her by the shoulders.

"I'm proud of you, whether or not you pass, okay? I know you'll pass but in case you're freaking out now, just answer the questions as best you can and I'll be waiting with a celebratory hot pretzel or comfort food."