❧ CHAPTER 36

season 9 episode 3 & 5

"Derek Shepherd--" The hospital lawyer spoke as she began to list the accidents caused by the plane crash to the company's lawyer as Natalia, Derek, and Meredith sat there along with Callie who was acting as a proxy for Arizona and Mark along with...

"Derek Shepherd--" The hospital lawyer spoke as she began to list the accidents caused by the plane crash to the company's lawyer as Natalia, Derek, and Meredith sat there along with Callie who was acting as a proxy for Arizona and Mark along with Natalia, and Owen was there as proxy for Cristina, who asked him if he could be her proxy as she was in Minnesota and wanted them to at least be friends, "multiple hand fractures with a median nerve injury. Arizona Robbins-- open femur fracture with resultant above-knee amputation. Lexie Grey--deceased. Mark Sloan-- deceased. This doesn't include extreme..."

Natalia looked at the table in front of her as she thought about her brother and Lexie, slightly dozing off the conversation until she snapped herself out of it and the company's lawyer spoke, "...wish for me to extend their deepest condolences."

"How is--" Derek asked, "How is the investigation going?"

"Have they found what caused the crash?" Meredith continued.

"The investigation could take years." The company lawyer answered, "That's why we want to help you put this tragedy behind you."

"I think you mean," The hospital lawyer corrected, "your clients would like to put it behind them."

"So I am authorized at this time to propose a onetime settlement." The company lawyer passed a piece of paper to Derek, "Bayview Aeronautics takes your loss seriously." Derek looked at the paper and held no emotion as he passed it to Meredith, "Now the settlement agreement must be unanimous, and it releases Bayview Aeronautics from any and all other claims, known or unknown, but... most important," Derek passed the paper to Meredith, who kept a controlled emotionless face, "it will allow you to put this painful time behind you and move on with your lives." Callie got the paper next, who raised her eyebrows at it slightly before passing it to Natalia and Owen, who sat next to each other, and Natalia's eyes doubled before Owen slightly nudged her to keep a controlled face and she slightly nodded, fixing her face and showed him the paper, to which he raised an eyebrow at before passing it back to the hospital lawyer.

"Okay, that was a lot of money." Natalia explained as she sat down on her bed, "How was I supposed to control my face?"

"I don't know," Owen chuckled. Natalia and Owen were currently on call in their respective houses alone since Jackson and Alex were on-call, "by controlling it?

"Ha-ha," Natalia said in a monotone voice, "funny." She sighed, asking Owen a question she's repeated for the past five minutes that they've been on call, "Why can't I just come back to work tomorrow? It'll be April's first day back."

"Because you just lost someone important in your life, Natalia." Owen explained, he decided to give her a week off to grieve, as suggested by Callie and Derek who were worried about the girl, and she was getting restless even though it was her first day from the week off, "You'll get to see her when you come back."