Imagine #29 - Lost Boys

Imagine your birthday totally sucking.

A/n - shoutout to people who's birthdays are in April!
Also, the song if you swipe the picture is Pity Party by Melanie Martinez

Word Count: 1018

~

You stare at the balloons tethered to the tent which stand upon the shore. The sun has just set and still no one has arrived.

You should have known this would happen.

Why did you think anyone from your school would show up? You're a loner, the outcast. No one wants to be seen anywhere near you.

The popular kids are the ones who suggested you have a party on the beach, reassuring that it would be a blast.

They're probably watching from far away, laughing their asses off.

You even took the time to make fancy invitations.

Glancing at the cake sitting on the lone table, you debate flinging it into the ocean in a fit of rage. You decide against that action: cake should never be wasted.

You wait a few more minutes, watching the moon rise. The longer you stay, the stupider you feel.

What's the point in celebrating your birthday if no one even cares that you exist?

I care, you rationalize. Even if no one else does, I can't let myself down or I'm no better than them.

You fiddle with the birthday candles, lighting one and holding it up. Hot wax drips onto your fingers like tears but you hardly feel the pain.

Real tears, hot and fresh, prick at the corner of your eyes. After a second of buildup, they slide down your cheeks.

You hum as you blow out the candle, "Happy birthday to me."

"It's your birthday?" A sudden voice questions in a happily bewildered manner.

You look up sharply, embarrassment flooding your veins. Recognizing the Lost Boys, you start to panic a bit.

Everyone at school talks about them, coming up with crazy rumours about their illegal activities. You've seen them at the boardwalk many times but had the common sense to avoid them at all costs.

You realize that you zoned out and try to focus on not being rude. Wiping your wet cheeks, you nod, "Yeah."

"Where is everyone?" The one known as Paul asks. Marko, the one who first spoke, comes to sit in front of you.

You fight back a renewed wave of tears, "Oh, uh, no one came."

Their smiles evaporate.

"Are they late?" Dwayne continues the interrogation.

You sniffle and look away, biting out a choked laugh,  "By about an hour and a half."

"Well, we never received an invitation," David says matter of factly.

"I-uh," you stammer, uncertain of what to say. "You guys don't go to the school. It was supposed to be my whole class. But, they were just, uh, being jokesters or whatever. It's fine."

More tears slip through your eyelids, making you curse inwardly. Way to be an embarrassment, Y/n.

"Hey," Marko says, touching your shoulder, "They're assholes for ditching."

"It's a cruel joke but whatever," you say with determination, "It's my party and there's a helluva lot of cake. Would you guys like to stay and celebrate with me?"

You can't believe you just did that. Invited the most dangerous group in Santa Carla to hangout and eat cake. Apparently sadness makes you unpredictable and rash.

They each smirk, "Hell yeah!"

Settling down, they start snacking away and you follow suit. Marko and Paul light the candles on the cake and start a ridiculously loud rendition of Happy Birthday.

"Happy birthday, dear Y/n! Happy birthday to you!!!"

They burst into laughter as you grin and blow out the candles, four remaining on fire.

Paul guffaws, "Nice, four boyfriends huh? Hmm, they around here somewhere?"

He makes a show of searching around the beach, looking underneath every piece of seaweed and every piece of driftwood, "I can't find them!"

You're wheezing with laughter, observing as Marko joins his blond friend. David grins and nudges you to get your attention. You look to him curiously as he places a large piece of cake on his fork and bends it back so that it resembles a sort of slingshot.

He releases it and it lands directly on Dwayne's cheek. David acts nonchalant and hides the fork under the table. Dwayne simply laughs and hurls a piece of his own leftover cake at you.

You squeak and duck, grabbing some ammo and firing right back. Marko and Paul catch on and an intense food fight commences.

In the end, no one is the victor.

You're covered head to toe in cake and frosting, each of the boys looking as bad as you.

"Great, now we're all a mess," you chuckle, licking some frosting off your fingertips.

"I can fix that," Dwayne states, lifting you easily and running into the cold ocean water.

You scream as the cold water laps at you, "Don't you dare drop me, Dwayne!"

His eyes meet yours and a wicked smirk crosses his lips.

He lets go and you fall into the freezing water. Resurfacing with a loud hiss, you splash the laughing male full force. The onslaught of water doesn't faze him.

The others run into the water around you, grabbing your hands to make you go in deeper. You oblige, eventually far enough out that you can't touch the sandy floor.

Your clothes are making it hard to swim but you're not about to take them off, so you struggle back to shore. The others come back to shore as well, and you see that they had enough sense to take off their shirts and coats before jumping in.

Shivering, you slink to the table and sit with your arms crossed in a sulky manner. Your pout is short lived though, because this is the most fun you've had for a long time. You can't help but smile.

Dwayne drapes his coat over your shoulders, "Here."

"Thanks," you wrap it tightly around you.

"Wanna head back to the cave? We can light a fire there and you can get a change of clothes," David suggests as he observes you shivers.

"Cave?"

"Yeah! We live in a cave, isn't that cool?" Marko says enthusiastically.

You laugh in disbelief, "Seriously?"

Everyone nods in confirmation.

"Wow, okay, let's go," you grin.

Best night ever!