Unlucky

Unlucky
-having or bringing misfortune
-marked by or promising bad fortune

___

"Ali! Ali! Come on, hurry up!" Yelled Alicia, her childish voice was very high pitched as she urged young Ali to climb up the tree. Her twintails swayed by the wind.

"Hey... Wait for me!" Ali yelled also, desperately trying his best to climb up the tree.

It was afternoon, the time where the last rays of the sun would be gone any minute. They were in the backyard of Ali's home, where a great oak tree stood. And the both could be seen climbing it. The neighborhood was quiet in the afternoons, almost everyone were taking a nap. Except for these two children.

"Hurry Hurry! Mr. Sun will be gone soon!" Alicia yelled again, she giggled at the sight of Ali trying to climb up the tree. Ali was very mad, it almost seemed like Alicia did everything better than him. Even though,
he was supposed to be better, Alicia had a tendency to be unlucky, yet she managed to climb up a tree without any mishaps.

Taking off his slippers, he used all of the strength in his little legs and arms, as he pushed himself up the tree. When he reached the branch where Alicia was at, he felt a sense of accomplishment. Together, Ali and Alicia watched the sunset.

"Took you long enough..."

"Hey! I made it just in time." Ali pouted.

"Uh-huh... Ow!"

Ali looked at Alicia, her hair was stuck to one of the branches. Her lips quivered at the pain as she tried to pull away. Ali hurriedly reached for Alicia's hair, he untangled it gently. Alicia did her best not to cry.
The wind blew once more, the sun was only visible as a thin line now.

Upon untangling, the tie to Alicia's right pigtail fell down by the wind. Instinctively, Ali went forward to catch it, but fell directly to the ground. Just as things couldn't get worse, Ali hit his head on a rock and his head bounced back, Alicia stared at Ali's tiny body, blood oozing out of his head.

"Aliii!"

___

"What in the world happened Alicia?!" Rama yelled at his daughter, he had heard of the news that Dr. Ghazali's boy had snuck out and had fallen off of a tree.

Alicia sat there, on one of the hospital chairs, staring onto the bloody hair tie on her hands. Her hair was disheveled and it flew all over the place. It was her fault, she was the one who told Ali to go out that afternoon. She kept mumbling his name all over again.

If only she wasn't so unlucky.

The next day, Ali was no longer at their house, they had moved. For days, Alicia never left her room, she cried and cried all the time. Soon all those different emotions were drained out her body... Once she came out of her room for the first time in a month, she was a completely different person. That even her own father couldn't recognize her.

___

Now at 15, Alicia was walking home from school, her face as emotionless as ever. Her for years she had made a bubble around her, that drove all the people away. Her hair was short and trimmed every month, she was scared at the thought that it could happen again. Not tying her hair and cutting it often, made her feel assured that it would never happen again.

Yet here she was, wearing a green headband, a loose one. Oh how unlucky she was that day, wearing a loose headband on a windy afternoon. Her heart almost jumped out of her chest as the light plastic was blown away. Afraid that it would happen again, she turned around as fast as she could only to find a boy holding the headband in his hand.

"Hey, um... You dropped this."

That boy whom she spent all her childhood afternoons with.

Being unlucky wasn't such a bad thing after all...