13: Connection

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Kill Our Way to Heaven"
B Y : Michl

"We would say anything just to hear what we want
Right or wrong
Then we lie to be forgiven"

"Matty!" Ember's voice was full of joy as she called out to her best friend, Matt. The two ran around in the field that they always went to. Their neighborhood seemed to resemble a concrete jungle. This provided them with a great escape. This was the one place they could go to and have the freedom to run around in every which way that they pleased.

Matt yelled out in laughter as Ember fell down. It wasn't in a mean way or anything, but a friendly way. Ember and Matt's relationship was perfect this way. They could joke around with one another and be able to keep their friendship in perfect condition.

Matt ran up to where Ember had fallen, his laughter not showing any signs of dying down as he leaned over Ember's face. "Whatcha doin' down there, Timber?" Ember groaned when she heard the nickname that Matt had so graciously given her. Ever since the day that Ember fell out of the tree, Matt took it upon himself to give her a fantastic nickname. This way, they could remember the occasion. Of course, Matt didn't know the whole story.

Ember pulled herself up so that she was in a sitting position. She brushed herself off and glared at Matt. "I told you to quit calling me that Matty." Matt just laughed and shook his head.

"But I think it suits you, you always seem to be falling." Matt laughed at his own joke, and Ember tackled him to the ground. Her older brother Josiah did that to her. He played rough, so she had to play rougher. Matt laughed as he fell onto the ground.

"Maybe I should call you Timber." Ember practically growled. Matt laughed and pulled Ember down with him. Now both on the ground, they both had the chance to catch their breath. Their chests heaved as they laid on their backs, looking up at the bright sun. Ember had to squint; otherwise, her eyes hurt too much. But she didn't care. It was too beautiful not to look at it. The tall grass surrounded them, and it was almost like the two children were in their own little cocoon.

Matt turned on his side so that he could get a better look at Ember, he really did care for her. She was his best friend out of every kid because she was real. She didn't put up an act, so someone would like her. Sometimes his other friends would make fun of him for hanging out with a girl all the time, but he didn't care. Ember was better company than any of them.

With a small sigh, Ember noticed that Matt was looking at her. She turned her head so that she could get a better look at him. When she looked at him, he just simply smiled. His dimples stuck out like a sore thumb on his lightly freckled cheeks. His hair looked so soft, and Ember wanted to see if that was actually the case. There wasn't a single thing about Matt that Ember didn't like.

"Timber?" Matt said softly. Ember smiled and scooted closer to him.

"Yeah, Matty?" She asked.

"We're going to be friends forever, right?" Ember tried her best to keep her facial expression neutral. She was only nine, but something about Matty made her stomach erupt into butterflies. She wanted to spend as much time as she could with him. If she knew anything about anything... she was definitely falling in love. And she was okay with that. More than okay. But first, she had to get Matt to see the things that she saw between them. So she smiled and nodded, holding out her pinky for a promise.