24: Family

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Hold Back the River"
B Y : James Bay

A week came faster than I thought. Corban's aunt, cousin, and brother were coming, and I was also going to meet his dad. His aunt and brother were going to stay for an undetermined amount of time, but his cousin just came for the food.

Corban seemed worried about introducing me to his dad, but I insisted that I was ready. I figured the more I said it, the more it would ring true. I may be kidding myself, but it has worked thus far.

I fiddle with my hair again, switching my part for what seems the hundredth time. My mind was elsewhere. More and more rogues have been along the borders. This dinner could not be happening at a worse time.

I sigh and look at Dog who is sleeping at my feet. His tongue sticks out between his teeth and he has a steady stream of drool pooling out of his mouth. I pet between his ears and let out a shaky breath.

Corban informed me that everyone is about twenty minutes away. It's 5:00 now, and dinner is planned sometime after six. My leg bounces anxiously, and my hands clench together. Corban looks at me and lets out a soft sigh. He takes hold of my hands and interlocks our fingers wordlessly.

"You don't have to do this." He says gently. I shake my head.

"I do. But I also want to." He smiles and kisses my lips softly. I smile up at him loving the way that his lips feel against mine.

"You're perfect." He breathes and kisses me softly.

"So hopeless." I say shaking my head with a smile.

"Hopelessly in love-" I let out a laugh and playfully shoved him away cutting him off.

"I know, I know." He smirks.

"Good. Gotta keep my woman updated. It be nice if she kept her man updated." He says and kisses my cheek. I roll my eyes, but smile and place a loving kiss on his lips.

"I love you corban." I whisper. He smiles.

"Say it again." I roll my eyes. So hopeless.

"I. Love. You." He smiles and kisses my temple. Suddenly Corban stands up, and my eyes go wide in surprise. "What is it? What happened?"

"Rogues, bats too." He mutters. My brows crease in confusion. Luckily this sighting doesn't seem as threatening as the others.

"Where are they?" My voice is panicked as I try to break through Corbans glazed over features.

"They're about three miles outside our pack territory. Four of them. Don't worry, my aunt and cousin led them in the opposite direction of us." I nod in understanding. I fiddle with my necklace and look at Corban.

"Should we tell Collet? Maybe she would know why it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I didn't give enough blood I could-" I'm abruptly cut off.

"You gave more than enough, and you will never go through that again." He almost seems angry. I huff and plop myself down on the couch.

"We should at least tell Collet." Corban stays quiet for a while, appearing to be deep in thought. Oh, what I would give to look inside his mind even for a few seconds.

"We'll bring it up with... Rylan." He says softly. "They're here." I let out another breath and clench my fists. Standing up, I hear Dog huff.

"I'll be back tonight, Dog," I say absentmindedly. Corban and I walk out of the bedroom and down to the main level of the pack house.