21: Blood

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "The woods"
B Y : Hollow coves

"Ember?" I look up from the book I am currently reading, causing Dog, who rests on my lap to shift. I am met with Corban. I attempt to fight the smile that comes to my face, but it's useless. About a week has passed since Corban, and I really started to dip into our relationship, and even though it seemed like a lot really fast, I didn't mind. If that is how it worked for us, then that's how it worked.

"Yes?" I question.

"I was talking to Alpha Matthews about the cloaking spell you had mentioned that Collet could do it. He's given the okay. We can leave today if you know where to find her." I perk up at the thought of seeing Collet again. I really have missed her.

"Yes. Yes, let's go." Corban smiles with a nod. I gently move Dog off of my lap, who had been sleeping peacefully. He groans and wobbles around on the floor when I set him down but quickly finds himself in another comfortable position.

"I'm ready, let's go," I say again. Corban laughs and gestures for me to follow him outside, and I do. I didn't know exactly where Collet's hut is. I know of three possible locations that it might be. But I'm sure we can figure it out as a collective. I just want to get this over with. Knowing that rogues knew I was here, putting a target on mine and this packs back.

Corban comes up from behind me, and next thing I know, he has his hand in mine. Warmth spreads through every inch of my hand and leaves me craving more. My eyes are glued to our hands, and Corban lets out a quiet chuckle that makes butterflies swarm in my stomach.

"Don't freak out." He murmurs in my ear with a small smile, squeezing my hand in what seems to be an act of reassurance as he leads me out of the pack house. Every pack members' gaze locks on us and our hands. I attempt to retract mine, but Corban's grip tightens, not to the point where it hurts, though. More eyes find us making me visibly uncomfortable. We are at the center of everyone's attention, and I don't like it.

"Corban," I whisper. He sighs and nods, dropping my hand. I instantly feel bad. Reagan had told me that when a shifter finds their mate, they are inseparable. Here I am, attempting to avoid contact even though things have started to get better. But it still was just too much for me sometimes.

"Sorry," I mutter, rubbing the nape of my neck. Corban stops in his tracks and turns back to be gently touching my face with his thumb, then dropping it back to his side when I stiffen. He shakes his head at me.

"Never be sorry for something like that. If anything I am sorry." He says. I sigh.

"Corban I..." He once again shakes his head.

"It's alright, Em, we're going to figure all of this out slowly and together. We'll learn what we like and what we don't and go on from there. So never apologize for being uncomfortable." He speaks with conviction, and I can see the truth in his eyes. Once again, I'm left surprised and battling a war of emotions in my head. But I send him a smile. A genuine smile.

"Thank you." His smile turns into a lopsided grin.

"Course. Come on, let's walk for the first few miles." I nod and look behind us, seeing the stray shifters going back to their own business as Corban and I go further into the woods. My gaze goes to Corban's hand that is hanging only centimeters from mine as we walk silently. I shake my head and look back forward, trying to focus on the beauty of the forest instead of the beauty walking beside me. Once again, my gaze moves back to his hand. I take a deep breath and grab it with mine entwining my fingers with his sighing as the familiar warmth that spreads through it. A smile graces Corban's face.