20: Revalations

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

"song" *cough*
"read the song lyrics" *cough cough*

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Panic"
B Y : L Devine

"Trying to fight it
But I can't deny it, no
It's time to panic I'm in love"

"Let's go to my office, away from prying eyes. I'll mind link Easton, once he's done tracing the rogues we could use his input." Alpha Matthews says. I nod gratefully that there will be another familiar face in the room. We made it to the office quicker than I expected. I'm masked by the smell of wood and books.

It was almost refreshing. It reminded me of being in the forest. We took seats, and I settled for one in the corner. I was still close to the group, but more on the sideline. I want to see where they take this before I put in my input. That way, I can think of all the options and possibilities. Weigh things out, solve the problem.

Alpha Matthews lets out a stressed sigh and looks at Reagan, leaning most of his wait on the large desk crossing his arms. He appeared deep in thought. "Let's just start with one of you explaining exactly what happened. Every detail why you were there when the rogues showed up, etcetera." Reagan nods and looks at me from the leather chair she sits in. I gesture for her to tell the story.

"We were going for a run, Ember needed to have a breather. I was taking us around the borders then the rogues showed up. We hadn't even been out for long." I feel Corban's eyes on me when Reagan explains why we left, and I try to avoid his eyes.

"It started with just one, but then we were surrounded. God, it reeked of rogue, but none of them attacked. They study our movements, or behavior, particularly Embers. I linked you guys, and we ran. We shouldn't have made it out alive." I tense as the seriousness of the situation set in.

"That's everything?" Corban asks and looks at Reagan then me. I nod as does she.

"How did the patrols not notice the problem sooner?" Reagan questions scooting closer to the edge of her seat. Alpha Matthews runs a hand down his face.

"It was in the middle of a shift change. There was no one along that border, they were on their way." I can't hold back my scoff, and Alpha Matthews's gaze snaps to me. "Do you have another opinion on the matter?" Well, so much for keeping my mouth shut and thinking through my answers. I nod my head.

"Uh, yeah, actually I do. I don't know much about how packs work, but when a shift change happens, shouldn't the ones on shift stay at their station till the new guy's show up? No one on patrol? Even if there was no one on patrol, they could have probably sniffed it out a mile away. Hell, the area smelled like shit even for me." Alpha Matthews's gaze hardens, and Corban just stares at me. I keep my stare on Alpha Matthews.

"Are you questioning my leadership?" He asks, growing angry. I Have to control my laughter, but Corban doesn't seem amused as he moves protectively closer to me. I shake my head at his question.

"Down there Mr. Alpha. I'm not questioning your leadership. I'm questioning your patrols." I state shortly. "I'm just saying. I find it weird that no one was there. Just like I'm finding it funny on the number of rogues that were there. I've had my fair share of rogues believe me, and this just seemed too organized, especially since none attacked." I see a small smile creep onto Corban and Reagan's face.

"I agree. I think we need to talk to the patrols... again. But at the moment, focusing on the rogue's is probably the better way to go," Corban interjects. "I don't know why they didn't attack, but we were right before. Now that Ember isn't in hiding, there's a target on her back." He looks at me, pools of stress in his chocolaty brown eyes.