two

"Oh no, I got it" I smiled to the man in scrubs, who immediately smiled back.

"Please, let me- they're bigger than you are." He spoke, taking the strap of one as I grabbed the other.

"Thank you" I exhaled to him.

"No problem at all, lead the way"

Through our walk, we had a small conversation.

"So you're a patient?" He asked.

"No, my mom is" I told him, seeing him nod.

"What's the problem?" He asked.

"Lymphoma cancer, in her blood and attached to her rib." I told him.

"Who's her doctor?" He asked me.

"Doctor Clifford" I spoke, seeing him immediately smile widely.

"That's one of my roommates, he's great"

I'm so glad I didn't talk shit about him.

"He seems great" I responded slowly.

We went into my moms room, him dropping the bag with me.

"Ash?" Michael immediately spoke, looking to us as he sat on the bed with my mother.

"The bags were heavy, I thought I'd give her a hand." The stranger smiled.

"Thank you again." I spoke to him, seeing him nod with a smile.

"I was just explaining the surgery to Ms.Jennifer here- but I'll join you for rounds shortly." Michael spoke to him, seeing him nod.

"It was nice to meet you, I'm Ashton by the way" he smiled, extending his hand to me.

"Harper." I shook his hand.

He left shortly after, making me turn to Michael, who was laughing with my mother.

What surgery talk makes you laugh?

"Okay, before I go- any question?" Michael laughed lightly.

"No, none for now" my mom smiled.

"Push the nurses button if you need anything, I'll be back shortly." He spoke, sending us a small smile before leaving, making me continue to stare at my mom.

"He's cute, isn't he?" My mom grinned.

"He's your doctor." I spoke firmly.

"Well Harper-" "mom we're here to make you better, not find a boyfriend" I spoke to her.

She didn't need to go through a heartbreak right now, she was weak enough on her own.

"Harper, relax" she laughed lightly, making me move to sit in the chair beside her bed.

"If you can flirt with whoever you want, I can flirt with whoever I want."

I rolled my eyes at that.

"Come on, it'll give me something to look forward to, chemo is going to me hard." She mumbled.

"Okay mom" I exhaled, seeing her smile.

"Flirt with your doctor all you want, but the minute he flirts back I'm going to lose my mind."