thirty-five

One week later
Michael.

We recently made Harper start interacting with other people her age that wasn't sick.

Such as other parents kids that were also stuck here due to their parents treatments.

And let's just say, she was happy.

She had a guy friend named Tyler, and the minute they started talking, we knew they wouldn't stop.

But today was Harper's eighteen birthday.

And Harper and Tyler had both received permission to go to the bars for a few hours just to experience what it's like to be legal for a few hours

But I was dreading it.

I wanted to go with her.

I wanted to keep her safe.

But I was on call and neither Calum, Luke nor Ashton agreed to go stalk them.

"Give them space, they're kids" Ashton told me.

I wanted to croak.

So we all ate a birthday dinner with Harper, made Harper blow candles out on a cake and next thing I knew, I was walking Harper and Tyler out to their Uber.

"No drinking or drugs. Ashton will be there to pick you up in three hours, call him if you want him to come earlier. Don't do anything stupid. Please call us if you need anything-" "we will be fine" Harper laughed lightly.

"You're right" I exhaled, feeling her hug me tightly.

"Happy birthday, princess" I exhaled, seeing her smile.

"Thank you, I'll see you in three hours"

The second they got into the car I hunted down my interns.

I grabbed the two biggest guys I had, Blake and Marcus.

"Want the night off?"

"Hell yeah" they spoke in unison.

"Go to the bar on Elm street, and watch her and him" I spoke, showing them a picture of Harper and Tyler.

"Don't be creepy, keep your distance. Just make sure no one messes with them, make sure they don't drink or do drugs and make damn sure they don't leave that bar without Ashton. Send me texts to keep me updated."

They didn't turn down that offer.

Harper.

The bar was too much fun.

Although Tyler and I did not follow Michael's rules about drinking, we knew we'd sober up in time to get into the car with Ashton.

Just as I tricked the bartender into giving me another drink, I turned and met the chest of a man.

A familiar man, but I couldn't put my finger on how I knew him.

"Excuse me" I smiled over the music, but he grabbed my hand.

"Aren't you a little young for this?" He pointed to my drink.

"Aren't you a little old to be holding me like this?" I shot right back to him, making him let me go.

"Stop drinking, now" he spoke to me firmly

"Fuck off."

Marcus.

"How the fuck are we supposed to stop them?" I asked Blake, who was sipping a drink he ordered for himself.

"We don't, we just ensure that they sober up before Ashton gets them."

Thirty minutes later, we came to a realization

Harper was an extreme lightweight

And we found her sitting in the middle of the dance floor, crying as a random dude tried picking her up bridal style.

That was not good.

"Back the fuck off" I shoved him out my way, grabbing Harper's hands and pulling her to her feet.

"Get Tyler." I demanded to Blake as I picked Harper up bridal style.

I carried Harper outside and to my car.

What the fuck were we supposed to do.

"Harper" I spoke to her.

She made eye contact with me.

"You just fucking kidnapped me, you fucking bitch-" "I work with Michael, stop cussing at me," I spoke quickly, seeing her eyes widen.

"Why the fuck did you let me get drunk if you work with Michael-" "because you're fucking mean!" I spoke back to her, seeing her eyes immediately swell with tears.

"Well you don't have to yell at me over it" she immediately cried out.

"Oh my fuck" I cursed, rubbing my face.

Blake soon almost carried a drunk Tyler out the bar, sitting him on the ground beside the tire.

"The fuck do we do" I asked Blake, knowing we had maybe thirty minutes before Ashton was here.

"Flood them with water and bread-" "I just called Ashton, he's on the way" Tyler spoke with a grin as he dropped his phone beside him, Ashton's caller ID up on the screen.

I hate these kids.

"Harper, throw up." I told her as she wipes her tears.

"Are you gonna yell at me if I don't?" She shot to me.

"Yes, I will- stick your fingers down your throat, and make yourself throw up!" I yelled at her, knowing that was the only way to make her listen.

But yet, all she did was start crying again, making Blake hug her tightly.

"Stop yelling" Blake spoke angrily to me, making me groan.

"I should beat your fuckin ass for making her cry." Tyler spoke tiredly from the ground.

"Maybe tomorrow, buddy"

Ashton pulled up and I was officially fucked

"Oh, great fucking job." Ashton spoke as he hopped out of the car, looking to the two drunk teenagers we were holding.

"Why the fuck is she crying?" Ashton asked, clearly angry.

"She's just drunk-" "he yelled at me" Harper broke into more tears, making me want to slam my head into the car.

Ashton shook his head to me, making her from Blake, picking her up bridal style.

"I'm sorry we didn't listen" Harper's voice quietened as he carried her

"We didn't expect you to listen, pretty girl" he laughed, putting her in the passenger seat as Blake and I got Tyler up and into the back.

I watched as Ashton buckled her up a whispered to her .

"Do you need to throw up, you feel okay?" He seemed like he cared, it was different from his normal serious and almost mean demeanor when he was reaching.

"I'm okay" Harper responded quietly.

"Want some food? Some water?" He spoke.

"Please." Harper spoke

Harper was being a complete angel, not crying, not cussing and not yelling anymore, completely chilled out

Ashton kissed her head before shutting the door calmly.

He cared about her.

"Get your asses back to the hospital and prep two banana bags without letting michael know, I will keep this a secret if you do too. I'm getting them food and then coming to find you. Dumbasses."

He immediately left making Blake and I look to each other

"I wish I was Harper"