twenty-seven

She laid there quietly, sniffing every few minutes and letting me hold her hands and talk to her quietly.

I could tell she was tired, but she didn't want to sleep until she was out of here, and I knew that.

Calum and Michael discussed the tissue they were taking as I talked to her about Ashton, Calum and Michael- telling them about how we lived together and all the fun times we have had.

"So Harper" Michael spoke once I finished a story, making Harper hum lightly.

"How do you like our hospital?" He asked.

"The hospital is good, besides the doctor who flirts with my mom all the time" she spoke, the smallest smile appearing on her lips, making Michael even laugh lightly.

"Got me there" he laughed quietly.

"Is my mom the first patient you've ever flirted with?" She asked him.

"Yes- we actually aren't supposed to get involved with patients." He spoke slowly.

"So why are you?" She spoke back slowly,

Michael froze at the question, seeming as if he was thinking.

"I don't know" he mumbled slowly.

"I just- your moms different." He told her.

"different from any woman I've met. She's got the best personality, even when she's sick. She's a ray or sunshine and she comes with the wonderful package deal of a teenage daughter." He spoke, smiling clearly through his mask.

"So you're risking getting in trouble or losing your job because of my mom?" She asked him.

"Yeah. I guess I am." He laughed lightly.

"Sometimes you just meet the right people and want nothing but to sacrifice everything for them." He mumbled.

"I sound totally whipped and crazy right now considering I've only known you both for like a month, but I'd be willing to sacrifice everything for you two." He spoke.

I suddenly saw tears invading her vision.

"Does it hurt?" I asked her, catching both Calum and Michael's attention.

"No- no- it's just, different hearing that." She spoke quietly, making Michael glad me to me before focusing back to her spine.

"I'm about to stitch this small cut closed, you're almost done" Calum informed Harper quietly.

Harper was silent.

They stitched it closed, covering it with a bandage before the three of us helped her sit up.

I saw her grab Michael's arm slowly, looking to him.

"I've been a dick to you because you've flirted with my mom, and I'm not saying that its going to stop." She spoke quietly, making me smile.

"But, I don't despise the thought of you caring for her as much as I did. I just know she's attached and she always gets attached to the wrong men, so I'm begging you-" "I'm not here to hurt your mom, Harper" he spoke, looking straight to her eyes.

"I'm not here to hurt you or your mom. I know you don't trust me and I know it'll be a while before you ever do, but you have my absolute word when I say that I'm not going to break either of your hearts the way your dad did." He spoke, and I watched the tears come back again.

She nodded.

"I'm holding you to that."