six

"It's a simple surgery." He told me

"Simple surgeries go wrong all of the time."

Luke.

She was panicking.

She didn't trust us and that was all of our fault, Michael and I should've sat her down and talked about the surgery, but everything was so rushed and fast paced.

She watched her turn away from me, her hands going into her hair.

So I hugged her, praying to myself that she didn't react badly.

But I felt her almost melt into my hug.

She didn't hug me back, but she let me hold her, the way her body relaxed told me that she needed it.

"Let's sit, watch a movie and relax until it's all over"

So that's what we did.

We relaxed, watched Despicable Me and managed to make small talk.

"It's been an hour and a half" she mumbled to me.

"They started a little late, it'll be over soon." I assured her.

About fifteen minutes later, nurses and interns brought her sleeping mom in.

Harper stared to her.

Her knee bounced, but she didn't speak.

About ten minutes later, Michael joined us with a smile.

"I got the growth out, she did great the entire time." Michael spoke to her, making her slowly nod.

"She should wake up in about thirty minutes, maybe a little more." He spoke, but she remained silent.

She totally hated us.

"Do you have any questions?" Michael asked.

"No, I had questions before the surgery, but a little late for that now." She spoke, clearly frustrated and angry, but she had a reason to be, we should've took the time to sit down with her.

"Harper I didn't mean to-" "look, I'm not a kid." She spoke to him.

"I'm still in highschool and I'm seventeen, but I've been taking care of my sick mom for months, I know more medical terms than any kid my age, but this shit is still scary for me." She spoke sternly.

"I can't lose my mom, she's all I have, so please just take that into consideration before you drug her without letting me talk to her." She spoke calmly, rubbing her face slowly,

"No other surgery will be like this, Harper and I apologize for the way this one was." Michael spoke slowly to her.

"We were on a strict time schedule because the surgeries are back to back today, I had no time to wait and once again I say that I am so sorry about that." He spoke to her quietly.

She gave him the smallest nod, looking to the floor.

"Do you want to talk about anything-"

"I'm fine, I'm sure you have other patients to tend to, no need to worry about me."