three

The remainder of the day I spent on my phone, watching movies as nurses and a few doctors came in and out of my moms room.

My mom napped, played on her phone and talked to me, seeming content where she was.

"So what do you want to do for your birthday?" I heard her asked, which startled me, because I didn't even know she was awake.

"We'll be here" I yawned in response.

"But we can still do something." She laughed lightly.

I just smiled to her.

"It's your eighteenth birthday, Harper, you can't just sit in this hospital room, maybe the doctor's will let me go to a bar with you!" She got excited at the thought, making me laugh to her.

"You'll be in the middle of chemo treatments, my birthday is two weeks away- we can just watch movies and chill here, it'll all be okay." I told her slowly, seeing her frown.

"Nah" she responded swiftly, making me bring my eyebrows together.

"Nah?" I questioned her.

"I'll figure out something for us to do." She grinned.

"Mom" I laughed, seeing her out her hand up.

"I don't wanna hear anything, just let me plan."

It was slowly getting later and later, I was finishing some of my school work as Michael entered.

"How are you feeling?" Michael asked her.

"Good" she responded swiftly to him.

"Great, so tonight you'll be on simple fluids, no food or water after midnight, your surgery will be at nine in the morning, I'll come in around seven to start prepping you." He spoke to her, making her nod.

"All good?" He smiled to her

"All good." My mom spoke back, making me rub my eyes slowly, feeling the burn of my contacts.

"Okay, so you two rest up, eat some dinner and have a good night." He spoke, making short eye contact with me before looking back to my mom.

"You have a good night as well." My mom smiled to him, making him leave the room.

She looked to me, making me immediately roll my eyes.

"How about we order pizza?"

As we waited on the pizza I took my contacts out and put my glasses on, finishing my essay and submitting it.

"I need to tell Doctor Clifford about your graduation date, we have to be able to make it back for that." She spoke.

"Two months away, and it's okay if we don't make it-" "it's your high school graduation! We're totally going." She spoke to me firmly, making me go to speak, but I got a text from the pizza man as I did.

In the lobby with the pizza

I quickly walked to the lobby, paying him and leaving with the pizza, bringing it to my moms room.

We sat in her bed together, eating pizza and watching a soap opera on the tv.

I laid on the couch as she showered, realizing one thing

This couch was as solid as a brick

I already knew that sleep was going to be hell