eighteen

I woke up to a phone ringing and a small groan from Luke before the ringing stopped.

"Yeah?" He spoke quietly, trying not to wake me- but I had already been woken up.

"Are you serious?" I heard him say.

I heard a small sigh.

"I mean yeah" he mumbled.

"Her mom said no?" He whispered again, making me immediately want to sit up, but I decided against it.

"Sure, I'll talk to her about it in the morning." He spoke.

"Yeah we fly out at midnight." He spoke, yawning through it, making me turn to look to him, seeing his eyes move to me, a smile on his lips.

"And you've succeeded in waking up Harper." He spoke into the phone, patting the bed beside him.

Luke put the phone on speaker as I got out of my bed, moving into Luke's with him.

It was three in the morning.

"Moms okay?" I asked quietly, hearing Michael's voice.

"Yeah, she's fine Harp" he spoke, making me nod, leaning my head on Luke's shoulder.

"Well, I'll let you guys get back to sleep, I know it's late. Goodnight" he spoke.

"Night man" Luke spoke and then they both hung up.

"What did he call about?" I asked as Luke turned a lamp on, throwing the sheets over my legs as he covered himself up more.

"No need to talk about it right now, we can in the morning" he yawned.

"I'm not going to be able to sleep knowing there's something we have to talk about" I mumbled lightly to him, trying not to be annoying, but telling the hard, cold truth.

He rolled his eyes lightly, letting a smile come onto his mouth.

"Lay down, I'll tell you know, but you have to promise me you'll go to sleep once I'm done." He spoke firmly, making me let my head fall straight into a pillow.

He smiled.

"So your moms cancer is in her blood and on her rib" he spoke slowly.

"Right" I confirmed with a small nod.

"Well, while settling on her ribs, some also settled on the bone marrow in her spine, which Michael is going to have to remove, but she will need more of." He spoke slowly.

I just looked at him.

"I'm trying to explain this without using big medical words" he spoke quietly, clearly planning his words before saying it.

"So when he takes it out, she obviously needs more, which requires a donor" he spoke slowly, making me realize what they were saying.

"And you want me to donate some?" I questioned.

"It would be the best option, otherwise she would have to be put on a transplant list and that could take months and it could spread even more-" "how can I live without it, but she can't?" I asked him slowly.

"You have all healthy white and red blood cells in your body, which come from your bone marrow. Your moms white blood cell count is low due to her cancer, and without bone marrow, she wouldn't be able to produce more cells" he spoke slowly.

"So I just don't need to produce anymore cells?" I asked him.

"No- you do, but you don't need as much bone marrow as your mom. So it'll simply be you losing some bone marrow and then we'll do a blood transfusion to ensure that you have all the cells you need to not get sick while your body regenerates." He told me, making me slowly nod.

"So one problem" I mumbled slowly, seeing him raise his eyebrows.

"I don't like needles- at all" I mumbled, seeing his eyebrows move together but yet he exhaled.

"Not the only problem, actually."

"Your mom is refusing to let you donate to her. She's completely shutting down the idea."