thirty-eight

one month later

"Damn, what the fuck did you pack? Weights?" Luke asked as he lifted my bag off the airport baggage claim.

"It's not my fault that you guys only gave me three suitcases to fit my whole life into." I shot to him.

He drove me to the house that Michael and mom recently bought together.

We were happy.

Mom was happier than I've ever seen her.

She still was on a few medicines, but she was in remission and gaining her strength back.

Michael seemed more than happy.

I was happy.

Happy that I was finally surrounded by positive men.

Luke, Ash and Calum helped me unpack and organize my new room while Michael and mom focused on the rest of the house.

I suddenly leaned against Cal, hearing him laugh.

"Someone's getting tired" he spoke, wrapping an arm around me, making me smile.

We ended up having a movie night, deciding that we would finish unpacking tomorrow.

As we watched the movie, I saw my moms phone light up, seeing Darrell.

Darrell is my dads name.

So I grabbed it, looking at the text messages.

A string of messages just from him, my mom never responding

I want you back

I miss Harper

This isn't the life I want anymore

Please take me back

I'll move you both back home, get you a new house, anything you want.

Mom was leaving him on read.

She entered the room as I locked her phone, but she knew I had her phone.

Not to draw attention to the situation, she took the phone from me, typing

She soon turned the screen to me and I read the message she had just sent

I am happy where I am. I am in a healthy and wonderful relationship. I will never dream of coming back to you. Please do not text me again unless you have no other option.

I nodded, making her focus to the tv.

What made my dad suddenly hate how he was living?

Did he actually want me back? Or was he saying that to get my mom back?

Just as I got deeper and deeper into thought, Michael's arm went over my shoulder and he gently kissed my head.

"I love you, kid" he exhaled, making me glance to him with a smile.

"I certainly don't hate you."