sixteen

The police asked questions about who could've had an access card to get through the gate, who could've had a key to get into the house and why they messed with every single room besides my own.

It was my dads property, he worked hard to buy the things that he took back.

And my mom couldn't handle the stress of going to court right now.

"I have no clue" I mumbled.

"So no extra key was given away?" He asked.

"My dad has one, but he left us forever ago." I spoke simply, not wanting to flat out say 'I know my dad did it, please get a court date'.

"Do you think he'd do something like this?" The officer asked, making me go silent.

"I don't think so, but I haven't seen him in almost a year so I can't be sure" I mumbled.

"Okay, well thank you for coming down. We will try to recover all of the stolen items and return them to you. I'll also go speak to your father, Mr.David, right?" He spoke, making me narrow my eyes to him.

"How do you know my dad?" I asked.

"He's the biggest lawyer in the city, you've got a big last name here, kid" he laughed lightly.

"And that's changing as soon as I turn eighteen." I responded to him, seeing his face drop before he picked it back up quickly.

"We'll call you if we need anything else, enjoy your day."

So Luke tried to get my mind off of everything.

We went to a beach, sat in the sand and talked.

We got lunch, we rented bikes to ride around town.

Mid-day we got tired and went back to our hotel to rest, where I FaceTimed mom.

Her and Michael were sitting in bed together.

"Just finished her second round of chemo!" Michael yelled, my moms head leaning on his shoulder.

I smiled.

"Good job mom." I knew I needed to acknowledge.

Mom and I talked back and forth about the house and what was missing until she fell asleep on Michaels shoulder.

"Cancer makes you really lethargic, she just wanted a minute with you." Michael told me, making me slowly nod.

"What's your plans for the rest of them day?" He asked the two of us, making us look to each other.

"I think you pretty much see it."