thirty-two

Michael.
Three days later.

Harper was feeling much better, thankfully.

She was sore, but walking and officially discharged and relying on Tylenol for her pain.

Harper's mom was doing well, she thankfully didn't reject the tissue and is now receiving more chemo and already decreasing the cancerous cells in her body.

I walked into her moms room, seeing Harper looking out the window.

"There's a wingstop." I heard Harper say before her mom smiled, extending her hand to me.

"Someone is sick of hospital food" her mom laughed lightly.

"I certainly don't blame you, I'm sure you're sick of the hospital in general" I spoke before kissing Jennifer's head gently, seeing Harper immediately roll her eyes.

"Come on Harper, I'll bring you to wingstop to get you and your mom some food" I spoke, seeing her instantly perk up, her mom smiling to her.

"Be safe" Jennifer spoke, giving my hand a squeeze.

"We will" I smiled, watching Harper quickly hug her mom before leaving the room, giving me a moment to carefully peck Jennifer's lips before walking out to meet her like nothing happened.

Harper and I stepped into the elevator with an older lady, who smiled to us.

Harper pushed the button, bringing us to the bottom floor.

Just as we got to the second floor, the elevator very abruptly stopped.

"Michael" Harper's voice immediately spoke.

"The fuck" I mumbled to myself, immediately pulling the alarm that would alert the hospital that the elevator was stuck.

After pushing multiple buttons and trying to pry the doors open, I realized- we were actually stuck.

"Come help me pull this Harper" I asked her, referring to the doors.

She pulled one side and I pulled the other- struggling- but we got them open.

We were stuck between two floors.

"Oh my god" Harper spoke, her hands going to her head.

"We're going to die" she spoke next, immediately making the old lady gasp, myself wanting to immediately diffuse the situation.

"We are not going to die, this alarm has already alerted the front desk and I'm going to page the guys and my boss right now" I told them calmly.

"This is my biggest fear Michael- what if the cord breaks and we fall-" "Harper." I spoke, grabbing her gently.

I didn't need her freaking out this old lady.

"Sit on the floor, put your knees to your chest and breathe, stop panicking- we are not going to die." I told her, seeing her immediately move to a sitting position, holding her knees to her chest.

About ten minutes later, the top doors that we were stuck between were being opened.

Harper stood beside me immediately.

"How are you guys doing?" The firefighters spoke.

"Good, but we want out." I spoke for the three of us.

"Well" one of the fire fighters laughed lightly,

"That's gonna be a few hours"

I officially wish we would've took the stairs.