PART 16 | dribble

Caiden's P

Caiden's P.O.V

"I WANT A clean easy game boys. No funny business. Got me?" The ref says.

We nod and a chorus of 'yes sir' goes around.

Today's game is against Heath-Side High. North West isn't particularly fond of this school, though we're not fond of most schools.

But Heath-Side's Varsity Basketball team is our best opponent. They're better than good.

But North West is better than fantastic.

Liam Ludlow, their team captain, cracks his neck.

King, our team captain, mocks him then places the loser L to his forehead.

"Your going down, Nut Whackers," Liam taunts.

Nut Whackers is the nickname Heath-Side gave our school. Mostly because it starts with NW like our school.

So it's only fair that we give them one too.

"Over Lebron's dead corpse Hickey Suckers," replied King.

Hickey Suckers.

Yep.

Jersey came up with it.

Then the game board blows its usual blaring sound, along with the refs whistle.

Time to win this.

King snags the ball and dribbles down court. He passes to me and I make my way past players, the ball rough against my palms as I switch hands.

In front of me are two opposing players, I won't be able to get passed as one is literally 7 foot and as bulky as the hulk.

"Nate!" I call out to one of our team mates, and quickly bounce the ball to him. Nate then uses his fast feet and tall height to make it closer and slam dunk the ball through the net.

The crowd goes wild and the point board adds a point to our side.

Liam comes over and spits in my face, "I wouldn't get too hyped up, Hurley."

I use the bottom of my basketball singlet to wipe the spit off my cheek.

A few girls giggle and squeal at the sight of my V-line and abs.

"I didn't realise you were a garden sprinkler Ludlow."

He glares at me and pushes past, shoving my shoulder as he does.

As the time plays by, the score is 39-39.

A tie.

But theres only 11.3 seconds left on the clock.

Coach calls a time out and we jog over to the benches.

He takes the whiteboard from under out of his armpit and takes the cap off the white board pen with his teeth before spitting it into the seat beside.

"Ok boys, 11.3 seconds on the clock. Heath-Sides ball. What are we gonna do about it?"

Running a sweaty hand through my hair I speak, "Intercept a pass?"

The coach considers this then nods.
He begins drawing on the white board, "Pickerson usually passes to Ludlow and Ludlow dribbles up to 3 point line before trick shooting and passing it to Ryans."

We all nod.

I grab my drink bottle and chug down the water, averting my eyes from the white board to find Kennedy and the girls.

Their seated next to Hayley, Kingston's victim.

I wonder if their getting along?

It looks like it, from the way their all laughing at something Michelle said.

Except Julie. I follow her gaze to see her looking at Jersey.

Does she still love him?

Maybe. And we're all just oblivious to see it.

Kennedy meets my eye and waves. She looks as beautiful as ever tonight.

I send her a wink to which she rolls her pretty green eyes at.

Then suddenly the white board is waved in front of my face. "HURLEY! Head in the game."

I snap my head away from Kennedy and back to the team while muttering a, "Sorry coach."

King and Jersey both have smirks plastered on their faces.

They know who I was looking at.

"Caiden, you need to intercept the pass from Ludlow to Ryan's. Got it?"

I nod. "Yes Coach."

He draws a circle holding a smaller circle on the board, indicating me and the intercepted pass.

"Once you get it, pass it backwards to King who will then dribble and pass it to Jersey."

We all look at Jersey, who's standing there with his shirt twisted through the neck.

I laugh, he is such a doofus. Well, we all are but he's the biggest of them all.

"Matthews, your making the shot, and put your singlet down," coach informs Jersey.

Our team jogs back onto court, our shoes squeaking against the sweat soaked court.

The ref blows the whistle and Jack Pickerson passes the ball to Liam who begins dribbling to the 3 pointer line, just as coach said.

I run up and jump between him and Vince Ryans.

5.6 seconds left.

I hear Kennedy's shouts of enthusiasm and adrenaline pumps through my veins.

Liam lunges at me, I dodge him quickly, the ball passing through my legs.

King is wide open and I throw him the ball as Coach said.

He dribbles and then passes to Jersey who has placed himself by the hoop.

2.0 seconds left.

Jersey catches the ball and just as the game board clocks 1 second the ball is thrown up into the air, towards the hoop.

I cross my fingers.

Get in the hoop. Get in the hoop.

The crowd is silent.

A/n this ones shorter. Ahah idek what I'm doing with this book.
Imma just let it play its course bc I have literally no plan.