CHAPTER 32

Chapter 32

The boring voice of the news caster welcomed my ears the moment I entered my small apartment after being away for a week. I checked the sala to see the cleaner watching the television with the same news about illegal transactions, drugs, and illegal weapons that are roaming around the city and causing a ruckus in the black market that is said to be investigated.

I shook my head as I put down my sling bag on the single couch.

"Hi," I said.

The woman in her 40's looked at me in shock while holding her chest as she breathed loudly and fast. Tinaasan ko ng kilay ang babae bago itinuro ang TV sa likod niya na patuloy sa umaandar.

"You can sit down if you want to watch. It's not like I'm forbidding you to do so." I said calmly.

She only nodded her head and finished wiping the coffee table before leaving, as if she'd seen a ghost that she was afraid of.

I went to the fridge to get the pitcher of cold water because I needed it. I just can't seem to calm down after what has happened in Thailand.

He's just as annoying as before. I mean, worse than before!

"How was your trip to Thailand, honey?"

I finished chewing the food in my mouth and drank my orange juice to push it all down before answering.

"It was fine, Pa. Nothing excites me more than seeing Luisito Soriano fight for his last breath. But after that, parties were just the same." I shrugged.

"That's good, but has your brother contacted you? I've been trying to reach him but his phone seems useless. He's not picking up."

Inilipat ko sa kaliwang tainga ang cellphone ko at sumandal sa upuan.

I was called back to California because of the business. Kuya's still recovering, so I need to fill in his post. It's not as big of a mission compared to his. I only attended a simple gathering in Thailand. I played like a good girl, listening to their nonsense. I was away in the Philippines for exactly 4 days and flew straight to Thailand to finish one of Kuya's minor works.

"No. I didn't contact him when I was in Thailand." I answered honestly.

Papa cleared his throat on the other line. I heard him sigh, like he was so done with my brother behaving like a teenager in his 30's.

"Call me if you ever connects with him." Papa said.

"Sure. I'll call. Bye."

The call ended, and so my appetite was gone the moment I saw him enter my house without knocking. This is the 4th time he did that after I came back here. He hacked my door lock. He picked my passcode, and then registered his fingerprints like we were some kind of friends.

The nerve!

"Why are you here?"

I pushed my bowl of noodles to the side and placed my cellphone on the table. Naglakad naman siya diretso sa fridge ko at kumuha ng canned coke.

"Visiting my girlfriend." balewalang sabi nito at umupo sa harap ko.

"You've got the wrong unit. You have no girlfriend here, and I don't know you, sir. Please leave my place before I call the police." I warned him and showed my phone's screen.

He smirked soundly and put down his can. He licked off the coke that was left on his lips. "Won't the police arrest you too, Cassandra Marie?"

"Why would they arrest me? It's not me who intrudes on someone's place, hacks someone's passcode, sleeps on someone's couch, and eats someone's food."