𝐢𝐢. 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

BRUTAL
chapter two

BRUTALchapter two

invitations

ADRIAN YAWNED AS THE FINAL BELL OF THE DAY RANG. He was happy to finally get out of school and drink away his problems. But of course, something, someone, had to slow him down.

"Hey, Adrian." Adrian looked up from his locker and raised his eyebrows at the curly-haired boy that stood in front of him. "What?"

Dustin swallowed thickly, scared, but he would never admit that. "Well, we were thinking, maybe you could come trick-or-treating with us?" Adrian gave him an unimpressed look as he crossed his arms.

"Who is 'we.'" Dustin cleared his throat before answering. "Me, Lucas, Will, Mike, and that new girl, Max. Hopefully." Adrian nodded slowly.

"I'll think about it. By the way, love the costume." He closed his locker door and walked away, only one strap of his backpack on his shoulders.

"We're meeting at the Maple Street Cul-de-sac at seven. That's seven on the dot." He heard Dustin shout towards him before he pushed the school doors open, walking out of the building.

Adrian laughed to himself at the costumes he had seen the four boys wearing earlier, considering nobody else dressed up.

His brown hair flew past his head as a gush of wind pushed through the air. The boy sighed and grabbed his bike from the bike rack, jumping onto it without a second thought.

He didn't have a costume. He never did. He always remembers to never wear one, because of one Halloween night four years ago.

Adrian was excited. It was Halloween and he had the perfect costume. He had just recently watched a movie called Stars Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and he was dressing up as Luke Skywalker.

He had been bouncing around thrift stores to find the perfect clothes to put together and he had just completed the look. He had even been able to buy a fake toy gun.

Once the small child had put on the clothes, he messed with his hair before walking out of his room, a big smile plastered on his face.

"Dad! Dad look at my costume!" He shouted happily as he ran down the stairs. However, his father wasn't happy at all.

"What did I say about yelling under this roof? And take that stupid thing off, you look like a queer." The smile fell from the nine-year-olds face.

"But it's Hallo-." He tried your protest, missing his mother more and more by the second. "I don't give a damn what it is! I said take that stupid thing off!"

Adrian jumped back at the sudden tone of voice and let out a shaky breath. "I want to go trick-or-treating." He stated firmly, planting his feet as he glared at the man in front of him.

His father slowly got up from his seat, setting his beer bottle down on the table next to him. He staggered up towards Adrian before pulling his hand back.

Adrian fell to the ground, his hand on his cheek. He whimpered as he tried to back away from the older man, but he was gripped by his arms and pulled back up.

"The men in this family don't cry over dumb wounds. Get back up and stop the damn tears." Adrian swallowed thickly as he felt tears cloud over his eyes.

"Now. I want you to go into your room, take this outfit off, and stay there. Got it?" Adrian stayed silent, too afraid to even move. He feared that if he even moved the wrong way he would hit him again.

"Got it?!" Adrian quickly nodded, jagged breaths escaping his mouth.

His father forcefully let go of his arms and Adrian bolted up the stairs, running back into his room. He locked the door before he turned around, back to the wooden door.

He let his head hang as his body collapsed, his back sliding down the door. He held his head in his knees as his hands pulled at his hair.

He finally let the tears flow from his eyes, letting them fall down his rosy cheeks. His arms ached as bruises started to form on them, the handprint on his cheek already bruised.

And that's when he vowed to never go trick-or-treating again.

Adrian shuddered at the memory but pushed it away, breathing in the crisp autumn air as he pulled onto his street. He was not mentally ready to walk inside of his house, but went against his instincts, walking through the creaky old door.

"Adrian? Is that you?" The boy froze when he heard a calming voice come from his father, rather than a forceful one. He stalked into the living room and raised his eyebrows when he saw a woman leaning up against his father.

"Ah. Adrian! Wonderful." He was yanked by his arm and pushed into the seat that was in front of the couch. "This is Rachel. Rachel, this is my son, Adrian."

The woman, who looked like a druggie, smiled at the teenager with crooked teeth. "It's nice to meet you, Adrian." She stuck her hand out and Adrian reluctantly shook it.

"She'll be staying with us tonight, so I want you to be kind." Adrian nodded, refusing to even say a word.

"Now, go do your homework." Adrian looked at his father's deadpan and shot up from his seat, trying to seem as calm as possible as he walked up the stairs.

He closed his door behind him once he had entered his room and locked it, setting his backpack against his bed frame.

He let out a jagged breath once he realized that nobody was following him. "Who the hell is Rachel?"

Adrian shook his head and walked into his bathroom, staring back into his brown eyes.

"We're meeting at the Maple Street Cul-de-sac at seven. That's seven on the dot."

Adrian thought for a moment before shrugging. "Why the hell not." He stayed before walking into his closet.

i hated writing this chapter.
i'm so damn emotional